cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Active & Hot Supervisor SUP-720-3B selecction

Gabriel Santini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a Cisco 7204 with dual Sup720-3B in redundancy SSO mode. I want to select wich card came to be the active and wich will be de hot (standby). I really don't know how can I do this.

Brgds.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gabriel,

Sup in slot one should be primary and Sup in slot two should the hot stand-by.

Please follow this document to configure SSO:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SXF/configuration/guide/nsfsso.html

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza.

This is not totally tru. I have 2 Cisco 7604 with two SUP720-3B each one. In both case, alway the Primary (active) supervisor was the card in slot 2. I don't know wy, but the only mode that can I change this situation was interchanged the supervisor position (From 2 to 1 and 1 to 2). Then, the primary was always the supervisor on slot 1.

That's is because that I need to be sure that the supervisor on slot 1 will be always the active supervisor.

Brgds

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If I understand your question correctly, you want slot x to be the active and slot y to be the standby when the router boot up. If this is the case, the router will pick the first boot up SUP module to be the active SUP. In some case, if the SUP are ordered from two different time, there is a chance the newer one will be the active when it boots up, and this is not configurable.

Regards,

jerry

Hi Jerry. Sorry for my poor english.

Yes, you understood the question. The supervisors card was ordered on diferent times.

By the way, I still not understand what is the election procces in wich always the same card is elected primary.

Brgds

The election process is who ever booted up first will be the active. Most likely, the new card is a bit faster. That is what I've experienced most of the time.

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card