Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

adaptive seurity appliance(ASA)

Hi every body!

I have few questions.

My book says" ASA hardware can act as a firewall,in other security roles,and in a combination of roles."

what are those roles as indicated by" other security roles and in combination of roles " in the above excerpt ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: adaptive seurity appliance(ASA)

I think what they are refering to

ASA hardware can act as a firewall,in other security roles,and in a combination of roles."

They are talking about using the ASA in multi-context mode where obv an ASA device can act as multiple security devices in there own execution space to partition customer traffic.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Sarah,

in addition to the multi context capabilities the ASA has extended capabilities:

it can act as a VPN concentrator

it can act as an IDS

So I think the writer could refer with roles with FW role, IDS role and so on.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/intro.html#wp1043760

Hope to help

Giuseppe

2 REPLIES

I think what they are refering to

ASA hardware can act as a firewall,in other security roles,and in a combination of roles."

They are talking about using the ASA in multi-context mode where obv an ASA device can act as multiple security devices in there own execution space to partition customer traffic.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Sarah,

in addition to the multi context capabilities the ASA has extended capabilities:

it can act as a VPN concentrator

it can act as an IDS

So I think the writer could refer with roles with FW role, IDS role and so on.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/intro.html#wp1043760

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content