Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a config to a stack?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have been given 2 3750 switches and need to put a config onto it wuld is for 2 3750's in a stack, how should I put this on the 2 switches?  Is it bested to install it onto 1 switch first then physically attach the 2nd after?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Kyle McKay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy,

The simplest way of doing this is to install and configure one switch to be the "master" of the stack and perform all of the configurations on that switch.

You can pre-provision configurations for switches not yet joined to the stack by entering the command:

"switch 2 provision ws-c3750g-24ps"

This would provision switch #2, assuming it is a 3750g-24PS switch. Once this command is entered, you can begin entering the interface-specific configuration to that switch, even though it isn't actually joined to the stack yet!

Hope this helps !

Thanks, how should I position the stack cables on the back I have 2 stack cables? 

The higher the switch priority the more chance it will be the master?

The stack cables should generally be placed in a fully redundant fashion. This means you would connect both to eachother.

Switch1 Port 1 --> Switch2 Port 2

Switch1 Port 2 --> Switch2 Port 1

This setup will complete what we call a full ring, allowing for failover should one of the stack cables come loose or become defective - this is important.

You're correct.. The higher switch priority will dictate which switch becomes the master of the stack. 15 is the highest number and it is generally advisable (in my opinion)  to set the switch you want to be the master, with a priority of 15.

Kyle

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card