Views
Helpful
Replies

add pasword to access config mode

mkhadr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to config password to access conf t mode. So if any user try to change the config he will be prompted to type a password 3 times, or he will be droped.

Thx.

5 Replies 5

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

So you want them to enter the same password 3 times to get config mode, or are you wanting them to have 3 tries maximum?

What are you using for authentication on the device? TACACS? RADIUS? The router itself?

You can create initial logins with an access level of 1, which requires them to enable themselves and type in the enable password to proceed to more advanced commands.

(config)#enable secret

That should do 'er. ; )

-Chris

I want them to have 3 tries max,if they fail, then they are out. I am using TACACS. But there are nothing there for config mode password. I know all about enable secert etc. This is not what I am looking for. I am looking to have the router prompt anybody for a passowrd to be in conf t mode.

Thx.

EX:

router# conf t

Password:

How or what to config to do that.

That's what I am trying to add.

Mohamed

Unfortunately I do not believe that there is anything in IOS that will prompt for a separate password before entering configuration mode.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am not aware of any way to accomplish this.

You can force them to log in in non-enable mode, you can force them to have different passwords for enable/non enable mode, but I've never seen a way to force authentication for config mode only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card