Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Adding 2960XR 48 port to setup a stack

Hopefully someone has first hand experience with this.  I know stack modules are hot swapable so that is great.  Goal is to not have any downtime.  I got a 2960XR-24 Port that is in production and is the main switch. 

Planning on adding another 2960XR-48 Port to this as a stack member.  If I provision this second switch like this:

switch 2 priority 1

And the existing 2960XR-24 Port like this:

switch 1 priority 2

Will I be able to accomplish the following:

- Existing switch will remain the stack master

- New switch that I add to this stack will become the stack member as the second switch

- There will not be any outage

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

And the existing 2960XR-24

switch 1 priority 2

You won't be able to configure switch priority until the second switch has fully joined the stack, however, you can pre-provision a second switch even before the second switch joins the stack.  

- New switch that I add to this stack will become the stack member as the second switch

Follow these simple rules: 

1.  Before you add a NEW switch to an existing stack, make sure the new switch has the same IOS version and feature set at the existing stack; 

2.  Before you add a NEW switch to an existing stack, make sure the new switch is POWERED OFF; 

3.  Cable up the new switch to the existing stack first and then provide/apply power to the new switch. 

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

And the existing 2960XR-24

switch 1 priority 2

You won't be able to configure switch priority until the second switch has fully joined the stack, however, you can pre-provision a second switch even before the second switch joins the stack.  

Follow these simple rules: 

1.  Before you add a NEW switch to an existing stack, make sure the new switch has the same IOS version and feature set at the existing stack; 

2.  Before you add a NEW switch to an existing stack, make sure the new switch is POWERED OFF; 

3.  Cable up the new switch to the existing stack first and then provide/apply power to the new switch. 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thank you for taking the time

Thank you for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

You are welcome and thank you

You are welcome and thank you for your replies they are definitely priceless as they increase every ones knowledge :).  Sorry took me a bit to rate it, been busy.  But any ways yeah I was able pre provision both switches.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content