Views
Helpful
Replies

adding 3750 to stack

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have two  3750s stacked and one 3750 standalone all in one data closet. The both have the same versions. I want to combine them to make one stack.

Questions:

How do I force the standalone to be the master? sw 1 priority XX(Higher then the existing stack)?

Both the stack and the standalone have management addresses. Would it be ok to delete the stack ip address? That way, the standalone(master's address will be the only management address)?

How should I connect the standalone 3750 to the stack? At present, the 3750 stack is connected via a cascade cable going from the stack 1 port of the top switch to the stack 2 port of the bottom switch.

Thanks, Pat.

19 Replies 19

Pat,

I think, the easiest way to do this is to first follow this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#Add

to add the standalone to the stack as a member since you already have a master.  Once the addition is completed and everything functioning correctly, then change the priority on the newly added switch to a higher number than the other 2 and reboot the stack. 

master priority 14

member priority 12

member priority 10

Once the reboot is complete the stack with priority 14 should be the master now.

Of course, you need an outage window for any of the steps provided.

HTH

Well, from what I was getting out of this thread, you wanted the standalone stack/switch to be the master, and then add the 2 switch stack to the standalone stack/switch? I'm assuming this is still correct. I'm pretty sure if you configure the priority of 15 it takes affect immediately but I could be wrong. But, configuring the priority to 15, and putting in the provision commands, and configuring the interfaces should not cause down time.

Yes, that is correct and thanks.

That is not entirely correct.  From the link I provided above, here are the steps that cause master election

When is the stack master elected?

• When the whole switch stack is reset1

• When the stack master is reset or powered off

Note: If you reset the stack master, it would reset the whole stack.

• When the stack master is removed from the stack

• When the stack master switch has failed

• The switch stack membership is increased by if you add powered-on standalone switches or switch stacks.1

So, there is defiantly down time and that is why I noted in my earlier post you need an outage window to do any of these.

HTH

Reza,  I wasn't refering to what he thought the thread was about.  I'll read your link though. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card