cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a vtp client

jigsaw2026
Level 1
Level 1

Quick q: I have a vtp client that was taken off the network for a while, I want to re-add it now - can I just go ahead and do this as it has a revision of 15 while the others are on 60? Or would I need to set the revision number to 0? (Of course I would do this as best practice but there is no option to on this switch, it's got some weird IOS interim version on it. It's just an old 2900 that I am using to test with.)

Thanks!

J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi J,

You can try putting this switch to transparent mode and then back to VTP client mode and that will also bring the revision number back to zero.

I believe that should work but incase if it does not work then go ahead adding it into the network because it is having low revision number it will not disturb anyone in the network and will get update itslef from server.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi J,

You can try putting this switch to transparent mode and then back to VTP client mode and that will also bring the revision number back to zero.

I believe that should work but incase if it does not work then go ahead adding it into the network because it is having low revision number it will not disturb anyone in the network and will get update itslef from server.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

kevindickerson
Level 1
Level 1

J,

As it is a client, all you need to do is add it to the network, and it will pick up the latest version of the vtp table from the server. The only time when you would have an issue was if the switch vtp mode was set to server and had a newer table revision number, this would then over-right the version on the network.

Kev

I believe that is a incorrect statement even if it is a client if the revision number is higher than any server that is on the network the vtp information will be overwritten by the higher version client , all that has to be done is to change the vtp domain name to something different then change it back to the correct one " before" inserting it into the network and verify the revision number before putting it back on .

glen,

I stand corrected, I guess that the client/server mode only really effects how the user manages the switch in terms of adding vlans onto the network and not necessarily how the underlying protocols work.

Thanks a lot guys for your help :)

Hi Kevin,

Glen is correct in saying that if the client switch is having higher revision number any server switch which is having lower revision number will update itself with the vlan database on client switch.

And that is the reason it is always recommended to connect client switch after making the config revision number to zero or always make sure it has lower config revision number when it is added into the network.

Regards,

Ankur

Kevin,

Go through this flash object and you will understand all the VTP concepts

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/vtp_flash

The problem section will give you an undestanding of what Ankur and Glenn are trying to address

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card