Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

adding new switch into VTP environment...

I just got a new switch and knew nothing about VTP. I had two switches to begin with and just followed the configurations of those. I added a trunk to carry the two VLANs that I use and added all the other ports to match that of the other switches. After trying to understand why this stuff worked I ran into VTP. It just so turns out that my previous switches are running VTP; one server and one client. I checked the mode of the switch I just added and it was added as a server! Everything is running right now but I am scared. It looks like to me that I have 2 servers and one client. Is this possible? I know I didn't enter a password for it to join the VTP domain... is that what is saving me? Here are the show vtp status outputs. The first two are my previous server-client switches and the third is the switch I just added.

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 2

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 255

Number of existing VLANs : 6

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : mydomain.com

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Enabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x3A 0x42 0xB3 0xA0 0x62 0xA9 0xD6 0xB4

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-2-93 00:33:01

Local updater ID is 192.168.48.252 on interface Vl100 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Operating Mode : Server

Local updater ID is 192.168.48.251 on interface Vl100 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

I know I should have this third switch in transparent mode but I need to do it so I don't cause downtime. Should I wait until after hours or does this setting not require a reload? TIA!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: adding new switch into VTP environment...

Hi,

from a VTP point of view and depending on your requirements the third switch can be anything, i.e. server, client or transparent. Just keep in mind the functionality (in brief):

VTP server: create, modify, delete VLANs, stores config in NVRAM, advertises and synchronises to VTP advertisements in the same domain

VTP client: synchronises to VTP updates, no VLAN modification allowed, no VLAN stored in the config (client needs a server!)

VTP transparent: forwards VTP advertisement, does not sync, but allows for local VLAN adminstration

In your case you could convert the new switch to a VTP client or keep it as server for redundancy. Also have a look at the other posts regarding VTP.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddd48ca

For future upgrades and to avoid any bad things from ahppening I also would recommend you to read through f.e. "Adding a VTP Client Switch to a VTP Domain"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804762bc.html#wp1223658

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Changing the VTP mode of a switch does not require a reload.

4 REPLIES

Hi,

from a VTP point of view and depending on your requirements the third switch can be anything, i.e. server, client or transparent. Just keep in mind the functionality (in brief):

VTP server: create, modify, delete VLANs, stores config in NVRAM, advertises and synchronises to VTP advertisements in the same domain

VTP client: synchronises to VTP updates, no VLAN modification allowed, no VLAN stored in the config (client needs a server!)

VTP transparent: forwards VTP advertisement, does not sync, but allows for local VLAN adminstration

In your case you could convert the new switch to a VTP client or keep it as server for redundancy. Also have a look at the other posts regarding VTP.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddd48ca

For future upgrades and to avoid any bad things from ahppening I also would recommend you to read through f.e. "Adding a VTP Client Switch to a VTP Domain"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804762bc.html#wp1223658

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Thanks for your reply. A couple of questions for you.

1. The 3rd switch that I just added is in Server mode however the vlan configuration isn't the same. Is this because I didn't feed it a password for my VTP domain?

2. Can I change the 3rd switch to transparent without a network outage?

TIA.

Changing the VTP mode of a switch does not require a reload.

Thanks for the comments fellas, you have helped a lot. Since I have two servers now which does the client get the configuration from? Or do the servers sync then give the configuration to the client? Also, why didn't I have to give the new switch a VTP domain password? It looks like it joined the VTP domain by the name but I never entered a password. Also, does trunk information carry over in a VTP domain?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content