cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new switch types to existing C3750G-12S stacks ?

lucdpwant
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have several distribution switchs stacks consisting of older C3750G-12S . Some of these stacks have no more free ports(read SFP slots) . As the C3750G-12S is no longer sold what other type of switch can we add to these existing stacks ? In short, what kind of newer switch (only SFP ports) is supported in a stack with the C3750G-12S ?

Thanks,

Luc De Meyer

6 Replies 6

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I have stacked 3750G and 3750X series switches together and it works fine as long as the IOS is the same on all of them so perhaps the WS-C3750X-12S-S will stack with your G series ones?

Having never done this one specifically, I could not be certain but the rest of the G and X 3750's stack together so I don't see why it would not work.

I would make sure the IOS is fairly recent on your switches before adding the X one and also the licence is the same.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have three choices:

1.  Continue purchasing refurbished 3750G-12S;

2.  Upgrade your 3750G-12S to either 3750X-12S or 3750X-24S; or

3.  Wait for the end of the year for an all-SFP port 3850.

EDIT:  #3 option not viable as this model is at least 1 year away.

Just to note that if yoiu are going down the path of 3750X-12S and/or 3750X-24S, you'll need to ensure your existing stack is running a minimum of 12.2(55)SE5.  I would recommend 12.2(55)SE8.

If you plan to exercise the option of purchasing refurbished 3750G-12S, then you could try Cisco Refurbished Equipment.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the other posters have noted, you can have a mixed 3750 stack.  However, the original 3750G-12S supports SDM templates unique to it (although you might not be using them), and the later -E and -X series give up some of their StackWisePlus features to work with the original series StackWise.

Since you mention multiple stacks, what I would suggest, rather than mixing different series, replace one or more stacks with a newer stack series and use the replaced older series stack members to expand stacks of other older series as needed.

BTW, none of the -E or -X series, I believe, might work as well as the original G-12S, again, because those units have additional hardware resources intended for using in a distribution role.

andyphillipstoo
Level 1
Level 1

In an earlier version of the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches data sheet it stated:

The 3750-X Fiber switches (WS-C3750X-12S and WS-C3750X-24S) don't stack with the old WS-C3750G-12S switches due to HW and SW limitations on the WS-C3750G-12S.

In the current data sheet this caveat is no longer shown.

Has this limitation now been removed?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A very interesting caveat!

It's possible the original caveat was incorrect.  I.e. perhaps there was confusion over mixing those models if the 3750G-12S is using its unique SDM templates vs. using a compatible SDM template.

Or, I recall one of the later 3750X models couldn't run all the earlier IOS versions as other 3750X models in the series.  It might be something that was resolved in a later IOS release.

Hopefully, someone (from Cisco) might clarify.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card