cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding servers to VPC domain

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

So if I have 2x Nexus switches joined to a VPC domain 1 and connect a server to both of these switches, would I configured the ports on the switch for the servers to be in another port-channel and another VPC domain let's say vpc 2. These configs look correct:

conf t
int e1/1-2
channel-group 2 mode active
int port-channel 2
vpc domain 2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You only need one vPC domain. If your server connects to both switches, you need to put both links in a Portchannel and a vPC.  

If your main vPC is vPC 10, you can put the server in vPC 2, but no need for keyword "domain".

Example:

conf t
int e1/1-2
int port-channel 2
vpc  2

HTH

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If i understand you correctly, it shouldn't be necessary to create a new vPC domain. You should be able to simply create another port channel in the same vPC domain.

!

conf t
int e1/1-2
int port-channel 2
vpc 2

!

Hope this helps

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You only need one vPC domain. If your server connects to both switches, you need to put both links in a Portchannel and a vPC.  

If your main vPC is vPC 10, you can put the server in vPC 2, but no need for keyword "domain".

Example:

conf t
int e1/1-2
int port-channel 2
vpc  2

HTH

Is it necessary to join all the ports for the server to VPC? So far I just did the 2 ports I was referring to.

Actually when I do the configs you guys stated, I still get:

switch 1# sh interface port-channel 11                                         
port-channel11 is down (No operational members) 

Any idea why?

Can you post Po11 config from both switches?

both switches need to have the same exact config

"sh run int po11" from both switches

"sh port-ch summ" from both switches

also, show the physical interfaces belonging to po11 from both switches

example:

sh run int ex/x 

HTH

Actually the port-channel is up now. Configs are just as noted above.

Is it necessary to join all server ports under a vpc X?

Is it necessary to join all server ports under a vpc X?

Only if the server connects to both Nexus switches and also both Nexus switches vPVed together.

HTH

Ok thanks. Also, should the two peer-link port-channel between the two VPC peer switches be equally sharing the traffic load as "traffic summary" shows traffic only going through 1 of the ports?

Ok thanks. Also, should the two peer-link port-channel between the two VPC peer switches be equally sharing the traffic load as "traffic summary" shows traffic only going through 1 of the ports?

So, it depends. If for example the sharing is based on source/destination MAC address and all traffic is sourcing from one MAC address than that one MAC address will only use one of the links. If there is a second device with a different MAC address, that second device should use the second link in the PO.

Here is a good link on understanding how load sharing works with PO. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12023-4.html

HTH

Ok so yes the server is connected to both Nexus switches in a VPC domain but the actual ports on the switch that connect to the servers are not configured with VPC, but everything is working fine except for one issue with two interfaces on the server which are connected to ports 1 and 2 on both switches. It is only these 2 ports I tried configuring under a seperate port-channel and with a vpc x config, however if I do a LACP port-channel it goes down, if I just do regular port-channel it will be up, however with both instances, pings to the server host interfaces will drop sometimes.

So the VLAN needs to be in the vPC domain and allowed across the peer link. If not, you cannot create a port channel from the server to both Nexus switches.

Hope this helps

So the VLAN needs to be in the vPC domain and allowed across the peer link. If not, you cannot create a port channel from the server to both Nexus switches.

Yes so the switches are vPC Domain 1and under the server interfaces I configured "vPc 2" and "port-channel 2 active or just port-channel 2".

Peer-link is not pruned and allowing all Vlans. The port-channel is still down with any of these configs.

I think the problem is with the server side and also the fact of them being non-Cisco servers - NetAp.

If I don't have a port-channel and vpc 2 on the server port interfaces on the switch it seems to work but just have packet loss from pings every so often. I will also add the "peer-switch" command under VPC domain config.

Any suggestions what else I should check or do if any?

Any idea what may be wrong?

Do you have other vPCs operating or is this the only one?

Can you provide the vPC domain, port channel and port configs as well as identify the Nexus platform?

Thanks

Correct there are no other VPC on the ports just this.

Same on both switches except:

vpc domain 1                                                                    
  role priority 100 (same for both switches)                                                            
  peer-keepalive destination 172.168.1.1 source 172.168.1.2 vrf vpc-keepalive   
  dual-active exclude interface-vlan 5                                     
  peer-gateway                                                                  
  auto-recovery                                                                 

interface port-channel1                                                        
  vpc peer-link         

-----------

SVI configs

Same on both switches except where noted:

interface Vlan2                                                               
  description ServerHost                                                      
  no shutdown                                                                   
  no ip redirects                                                               
  ip address 172.168.2.2/24                                                   
  hsrp 2                                                                      
    preempt                                                                     
    priority 105 (priority default on Switch 2)                                                                
    ip 172.16.2.1

---------------
Same on both switches except
interface Ethernet1/45 and 46                                                           
  description vPC Peer-Link                                                     
  switchport mode trunk                                                         
  channel-group 1 mode active                                                  
  no shutdown   
-------------------------

Interfaces for server ports:

interface Ethernet1/1 and 2                                                          
  speed 1000                                                                    
  description ServerHost                                                
  switchport mode trunk                                                         
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 2
 switchport trunk native vlan 12                                             
  spanning-tree port type edge trunk                                            
  no shutdown 

------------------------------------------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card