cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

additional fan tray 6509E when ?

yann.boulet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we want to buy a new line card in a C6509E "WS-X6708-10G-3C", do you know if and additional fan tray is necessary for this module ?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

An additional fan tray is not necessary for the installation of this card. Your existing "E" fan tray is sufficient to keep the card/chassis cool.

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

An additional fan tray is not necessary for the installation of this card. Your existing "E" fan tray is sufficient to keep the card/chassis cool.

HTH,

Mark

Thank you for your quick reply, can you just validate for me that Sup 720 module on the 9 SLOTs can only be used in SLOT 5 and SLOT 6 ? if i have only one supervisor in SLOT 5, can i use SLOT 6 for an ethernet line card ?

My last question is that we want to use VSS1440 do i need to purchase any license ? is it native with two C6509E ?

Thank you

Yes, Slot 5 and 6 are reserved for Supervisor use. Special power requirements are also allocated to those slots. With that said, you can insert a ethernet line card in those slots, though that's not an usual practice. For more information on the 6500 architecture, please refer to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

As for the VSS1440 path upgrade, all you need is purchasing the Supervisor.

HTH,

__

Edison.

You are correct the supervisors will need to be installed in slots 5 & 6. I believe you can use other modules in slot 6 if you don't have redundant supervisors. For the VSS you will need to have either the VS-S720-10G-3C or VS-S720-10G-3CXL supervisor. Please see the following link for more info on the VSS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/product_data_sheet0900aecd806ed759.html

HTH,

Mark

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card