Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Administrative VLAN

does Cisco, have configuration commands for Administrative VLANs?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan

What exactly do you mean by adminstrative vlan ?

If you mean a vlan used to administer the switches then no specific commands, you just use a dedicated vlan only for the switches.

If i have misunderstood your question please clarify.

Jon

Basically, I have a brocade router and a cisco switch and i am trying to traverse traffic (network connection) am I miss certain configuration?

Jonathan

Can't really say as -

1) you have not provided any configuration

2) you have not provided any example of what is or is not working

3) it still is not clear as to whether you are talking about managing these devices or for user traffic

we do all we can to help but we do need details to be able to do that.

Jon

Sorry Jon,

Actually it is to do both, first i want to get network  connection, next create configs to manage the devices, but I cant give  you the configs, they are classifed. I am just looking for some assistance if i am missing any commands.

Jonathan

Jonathan

You present a challenging situation. You want to know if any commands are missing but you can not tell us what commands you have used. How do you propose that we resolve this?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Jonathan

Is the switch acting as L2 or L3 ?

If it is acting as L3 then to connect to a router you can simply create a routed port on the switch eg.

switch

======

int gi0/0 <-- this connects to router

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.252

broacade

========

int  

ip address 192.168.5.2 255.255.255.252

then either use static routes between the two or run a routing protocol eg. OSPF

this would be fine for user traffic.

For management you could use a loopback on the L3 switch. Don't know about the brocade.

If the switch is L2 then do you want to route the vlans off the brocade ?

If so with a Cisco router you would connect the switch with a trunk and then create subinterfaces per vlan on the router.

But i have no idea whether this is the way to do it on a brocade.

So it really depends on whether the switch just has vlans but is not routing for them (L2) or whether it has vlans and is also doing inter vlan routiing (L3).

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card