Replies

Advantages of 2960x over 2960s

ripnik101
Level 1
Level 1

Hii Guyz,

This is my first time in this forum.

I had a Question.

I just wanted to know 'what is the maximum traffic  handling capacity per port of the newer 2960x series switch.

The thing is that we have around 50-60 2960s switches in our organisation.

We had a requirement of two new swithces , so i suggested my senior to go with the newer 2960x series switches.

Now he wants me to find out the key differences between both the switches.

and the traffic handling capacity of the ports.

And also if they can stack with the existing S series(The answer might be yes)

So please help me out Guyz.

This is my first week in this organization , and my senior is probably testing me.

3 Replies 3

ageralde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ripnik101,

i see that you are interested at the Catalyst 2960X and your organization currently has the 2960's in place. There are a lot of advantages of the newer X model especially the speed on the LAN Base. Feel free to email me directly so we can discuss this further in details. 

Thanks,

Angela (ageralde@cisco.com)

acirrici
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ripnik101,

Refer to this FAQ regarding the 2960-S, 2960-X, and the 2960-XR. This resource seems like it has all the necessary information to answer your question.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/qa_c67-728348.html

Thanks,

Alex (acirrici@cisco.com)

bridahlq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One of the main advantages of the X series over the S series is that there is additional stacking throughput on the switches. The X series provides 80Gbps of stacking throughput while the S series only provides 40Gbps. The X series also supports up to 8 members per stack as opposed to the 4 members the S series allows. To enable backwards compatibility between the models you will need to use the 'switch stack port-speed 10' command and you need to purchase models which support LAN Base images.

The X series switches feature Dual-Core 600MHz CPU and NewFlow-Lite on all downlink and uplink ports. In addition the X series supports more active VLANs, 1,000 compare to 255, a 4MB Egress buffer while the S series only supports 2MB. The X series also provides additional SPAN sessions, and supports 8K more MAC addresses.

In addition to the added features and upgrades provided by the X series it also supports additional energy efficiency features like EEE and hibernation mode providing a lower power consumption and cost of ownership.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card