Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on upgrade

huwyhuwy123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I've been asked for recommendations on upgrading the switching infrstruature for a smallish company.

The have around 80 staff and I think the current infrastructure is overkill for the size of the company. The current kit is old and they have no GB ethernet ports. They currently have:-

Core Switch:

• 1x Cisco c6509

with a 48 port fast ethernet module (WS-X6248-RJ-45)

and an 8 port fibre module (WS-X6408A-GBIC)

I'm looking to replace this with something with 72 ethernet ports and 8 fibre ports

Access Switches:

• 2x 3500

Replacement needs at least 48 ports and 2 fibre modules each

• and 2x 5500

Replacement needs at least 72 ports and 2 fibre modules each

I appreciate any advise on this as I am struggling! More than happy to provide more info as needed.

We may just replace the core switch depending on costs.

-Al

13 Replies 13

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

If the access switches and 6509 are in the same room then how about buying two WS-X6848-TX-2T(total 96 ports) blades instead of new access switches and connect everything to 6509, Ofcourse the sup module and IOS has to support the blades.

Siddhartha

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2x 3500

2x 5500

3500????  As in 3500XL and CatOS 5500????

Wow.  What kind of support do you have in mind?

I mean I would no longer touch these two models, period.

What are you trying to do? 

Yep thats them.

I'm looking to replace them with something new!

Cost is a factor though.

Cheers.

H

If cost is a factor then consider Cisco Refurbish.

But I will never recommend 3500XL or CatOS 5500 to be deployed (even at home).

Sorry but I may have been unclear.

I am looking to buy something to REPLACE these switches.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "upgrade" ;-)

Al

NB - When replacing the core switch I'm looking for something that will work with the fiber uplinks and existing vlans.

I am looking to buy something to REPLACE these switches.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "upgrade" ;-)

Ok.  To make it cheaper, I'd go for a router-on-a-stick.   What model of router will depend entirely on the WAN bandwidth.  Next, the switch.  I'd be looking at either a 2960 or a 2960S.  For ease of management, 2960S would be the best.  Whether or not you want GigabitEthernet-to-the-desktop is a moot point.  If you have a small WAN bandwidth then FastEthernet makes sense.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For the low port densities you're describing, assuming all these devices are not at the same rack (if they were, then the suggestion to upgrade the line cards in the 6509 is worth considering), least expensive solution might be stackable switches, 3750-X for L3 and 3750-X or 2960S for L2.

Great cheers. I assume I can get gbic modules for the 3750-x's for the uplinks?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

huwyhuwy123 wrote:

Great cheers. I assume I can get gbic modules for the 3750-x's for the uplinks?

GBIC no, SFP/SFP+ yes.  Choice of 4 SFP or (2 SFP and 2 SPF+)  modules.

PS:

Most newer stuff won't provide GBIC ports, although that doesn't mean you can not have GBIC on one side of a fiber link and SFP on the other.

SFP+ supports gig or 10 gig.

Thanks Joseph. I really appreciate your help with this.

I think I'm going to recommend 2x 3750s stacked to replace the "core" switch.

I'm not sure what SFPs to recommend however - do you know what's needed to connect to

WS-X6408A-GBIC fibre module?

Will I need a transceiver?

I have attached a picture if that helps :-)

Cheers,

Al

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

You'll likely want the SFP counterpart to your GBIC, e.g. SX to SX, LX/LH to LX/LH etc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card