Helpful
Replies

affect switchport to several vlan

yoyo_the_king
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a simple question.

i want know if we can affect switchport to a several vlan.

14 Replies 14

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

No, the access switch port can only be a member of 1 VLAN.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi,

if i have 2 pc with diferent address ip on different vlan,and i want connect them in the same switchport.

how can i do that?

Hi,

Are you connecting them via another Cisco switch to this switchport ?

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi,

no i connect them directly.

sometime i connect pc1 and sometime i connect pc2.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have 2 different hosts in 2 different vlans, you need a Layer3 switch or a router to have communication between the hosts.

-amit singh

yes i have it.

this my architectur

trunk trunk

switch1------------switch4503------------switch2

i have 2 vlan (vlan 10 : 10.0.0.1)

and (vlan 20 : 172.16.0.1)

i have 2 pc each one in vlan

pc1:(10.0.0.2)

pc2: (172.16.0.2)

i want that they can communicate in every switchport i connect them.

If you have created the SVIs on 4503 for the respective vlans and you have the IP routing enabled, all the PC in the respective vlans should be able to talk to each other. You have to make sure that the gateway for Hosts should be the IP address for the respective getway vlan. i.e the PC 10.0.0.2 should have the gateway as 10.0.0.1 on 4503 and 172.16.0.2 shouls have the gateway as 172.16.0.1

You also have to make sure that the PC switchports are configured in their repective vlan on Siwtch1 and Switch2.

If you want everyswitcport of switch1 should be in vlan 10 then use

switchport range interface fa 0/x -y

switchport access vlan 10

Do the same on Switch2 as well for vlan 20. This way your all switchports on switch1 will be in vlan10 and all switchports on switch2 will be on vlan 20.

-amit singh

i want that i can connect pc1 and pc2 in evry switchport on switch 1 or 2.

Hi,

This gets us to the start, you can't configure the access switch port with multiple VLANs.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies using the scroll box on the right,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi,

but is it possible to configure a switchport to access mode and voice mode

It sounds like you are asking about per-port dynamic vlan assignment. In which case you would need to deploy a VLAN MAnagmement Policy Server (VMPS) or configure 802.1x.

Look here for more info: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/157.html

HTH!

hi,

i don't know if i understund, if you can confirm this plz:

we can't affect a switchport to 2 vlan data in the same time,

but we can affect it to 1 vlan data and another vlan:voice in the same time.

this is right?

Hi,

In the case of voice VLAN the switchport acts as a trunk to the IP Phone and then the PC is connected to the built in switch of the IP Phone and the PC is now in the data VLAN inspite of the voice VLAN, and both VLANs are carried over the trunk between the IP Phone and the switch port.

[edit] Christopher suggestion would be nice in your case, using the VMPS and Dynamic VLAN membership.

With VMPS, you can assign switch ports to VLANs dynamically, based on the source MAC address of the device connected to the port. When you move a host from a port on one switch in the network to a port on another switch in the network, the switch assigns the new port to the proper VLAN for that host dynamically.

Use "switchport access vlan dynamic", but you'll need a VMPS server "vmps server ipaddress", AFAIK a Cisco switch can act as a VMPS server, let me check it out for you.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi,

thankyou it's so clear now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: