Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

After power failure Linksys switches that are uplinked to 2960 do not work

My client has a new Catalyst 2960 switch. He has several Linksys workgroup switches and other 3rd party vendor switches uplinked to the 2960. Whenever the 2960 looses power only 2 of his Linksys switches stop working. He has to reboot those 2 Linksys switches for them to start working again?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing or has any ideas? THe 2960 has a basic config with just a vlan defined and spanning tree portfast. Is there any interface commands I could to prevent this? Thanks

1 REPLY

Re: After power failure Linksys switches that are uplinked to 29

We'd need to know more information. Is it the Linksys switches themselves - do they appear to have locked up, requiring the reboot? Or is it that the 2960 doesn't like something he sees on those 2 uplink ports, and then disables them? If you have console access to the 2960 switch, you can type "show logging" to see if the 2960 disabled those ports for some reason. If the Linksys switches are locking up, typically their little green lights will be on solid, rather than blinking like normal.

I would be concerned at using portfast on the ports that uplink to the Linksys switches. That's not a good thing to do. Portfast should only be used on ports where the connected device is an edge device - a PC, server, printer, etc. - not another switch. I don't know whether that's related to the mysterious "gotta reboot the Linksys" problem, but it's a place to start.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content