Helpful
Replies

After stack was created, ask for password without prompting username

Igor Koval
Level 1
Level 1

Dear team,

Could someone advise me what could be.

I have created new stack based on Cisco 3750.

I have three stacks, due to increasing q-ty of users, was made decision, to buy new switches.

I have download from on the  stacks config and uploaded to new switch.

Everything were fine, I have rebooted for several time, it didn't ask me for a password at all.

Meanwhile, I configured rest of them and connect thme using stackwise. After system booted, it asked for a password without prompting user.

However, no password were configured, moreover, the stack is stand-alone, and wasn't connected to general network.

Could you please advise is wrong?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If it's asking for a password when telnetting/consoling in, that usually means there's a password configured on the line and it's not using radius or local authentication. I've never heard of the switch defaulting a password when the stack is configured. I suppose it's possible that one of the new switches had a config on it that had a password on one of the lines, and this switch has become master in the stack causing it to ask you for a password.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Were you adding additional switches to existing stacks or building a new stack?

Are you using Tacacs or Radius for authentication or are you using only local usernames/passwords?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card