cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternate method to Xmodem

carbonscoring
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I have a switch that a co-worker, while trying to upgrade the IOS, in the process deleted the existing IOS without successfully uploading the new IOS. Anyway I'm at the point of upgrading through Xmodem but, I have to imagine there is a quicker method.

Here are the details on the switch

Cisco 3750-48T

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Also, if your 3750 and terminal simulator supports something better than Xmodem, use the better protocol. (Even Xmodem-1K.)

PS:

Unsure, but some hosts and Cisco devices might support even faster than 115K, if they do, use it.

Also, if you can, you might want to reset BAUD rate before actual reload. Otherwise, it might become the new default speed, which makes it difficult to get on the device at 9600 next time you need to.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Other than X-Modem at 9600? Try changing the baud settings to 115K.

As above said:

set BAUD 115200

disconnect the session and reconnect with the correct BAUD setting

Also, if your 3750 and terminal simulator supports something better than Xmodem, use the better protocol. (Even Xmodem-1K.)

PS:

Unsure, but some hosts and Cisco devices might support even faster than 115K, if they do, use it.

Also, if you can, you might want to reset BAUD rate before actual reload. Otherwise, it might become the new default speed, which makes it difficult to get on the device at 9600 next time you need to.

Thanks guys for your help, I wasen't able to TFTP I looked it up and you can only use this for Routers. I forgot about what Joseph said about reseting the Baud rate before reloading. Wasent a big issue I just had to reboot back into ROMMON mode and set the Baud rate from there.

thanks,

Mike

tmsundar81
Level 1
Level 1

Mike

The other fastest way is to use tftpdnld command, the config example is available on the following link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml

May be you can give it a try..

Sundar.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card