cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Amount of Etherchannel groups in a 2960G?

azore2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Just ran into a small problem here.

I've got 6 2960G that Im building a backup network with.

One is the "Core-2960G" which i connect the remaining 5 2960G to.

All 2960G uses etherchannel with two links for more uplink speed to the "core 2960"

I just noticed that Im only allowed 6 etherchannel groups in a 2960G?

Im going to use atlest 5 groups connecting all the switches to my core.

And I also need alot more etherchannel groups for the servers that needs 2 port bundled conneced to the switch.

I've scanned through the 2960 documentation but never found the maximum number of etherchannel that it supports?

Current setup

Core-2960 <-> 2960-1 Etherchannel group 1

Core-2960 <-> 2960-2 Etherchannel group 2

Core-2960 <-> 2960-3 Etherchannel group 3

Core-2960 <-> 2960-4 Etherchannel group 4

Core-2960 <-> 2960-5 Etherchannel group 5

This leaves me with 1 remaining etherchannel! And I need atlest 5 more!

What can I do?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I use the 3560. They kind of hide that info on you. The only place I could ever find it is in the configuration guide. For example for the 2960, in the config guide, it states-

Specify the channel group number. The range is 1 to 6.

For the 3560-

Specify the channel group number. The range is 1 to 48.

I can not verify it supports 48 channel groups, but I know it supports more than 6!

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I ran into the same problem and that's why I no longer have 2960's in the network. If you have to use etherchannel, you'll have to buy a switch that supports more than 6.

Hope that helps.

What switch do you use instead?

I cant find a link/information regarding how many etherchannels the different switch models can use/is restricted to.

I use the 3560. They kind of hide that info on you. The only place I could ever find it is in the configuration guide. For example for the 2960, in the config guide, it states-

Specify the channel group number. The range is 1 to 6.

For the 3560-

Specify the channel group number. The range is 1 to 48.

I can not verify it supports 48 channel groups, but I know it supports more than 6!

Hope that helps

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I can verify that the 2960 is only 6 channels , we just ran into the exact same thing and we have to replace the switches too. We are also optioning for a 3560 for the replacement. 6 seems small specially if you have the 48 port 2960 .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card