cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any copper<->fiber media converter for 2950 and 3750 switches?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, just want to confirm:

On siteA I have a fiber connection to SONET. I have one Cisco Cat 2950 FastEthernet switch 24 Port.

Is it possible to buy media converter to let me connect one FastE port to the fiber SONET switchport? If so, which model is that?

On SiteB I have 3750 24P switch. Same situation, I would need a media converter copper port->Fiber.

I recall I used a converter in the past for the 3750 and that worked but I am not sure if model is the same for the 2950.

This is a temporary solution since in the future 2950 switches should be replaced by 3750 with gbics on both SiteA and SiteB.

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't terminate a SONET connection into an Ethernet port.

For SONET termination, you need a 7200 VXR with a SONET Port Adapter.

Similar situation, you can't terminate a T1 on a regular Cisco switch? T1 connection is copper and the port accept copper connection. Do you understand why it wouldn't work?

__

Edison.

Oh, sorry for my misexplanation.

In this case the SONET is terminated already, so I will have a LC, MM connector available for me to connect my 2950 to.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the exact model of your 2950?

WS-C2960G-24TC-L

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I thought you said you have a 2950?

Anyways ... 2960G has four (4) dual-personality ports (Copper or SFP). Just get the corresponding SFP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card