Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Any network discovery tool that supports CLI/CDP?

May popular network discovery tools out there (such as WhatsUp Gold, Solarwind) are based on SNMP.  Even though they claim to support SSH/Telnet, but they didn't seem to work the way I thought.

What I'm expecting is a software that mimic the way a human being do on discovering a swtich network:

1) Get to the CLI of the 'seed' switch

2) Do a "show cdp neighbor detail"

3) Look at the entries that have IP address

4) Telnet/SSH to that IP and repeat step 1-3 above

Ideally, the software can cycle through a credential list in case different credentials are needed on different devices.

The closest I can found is "NetBrain".  But it seems to be an overkill for light use.  I could have written some VB Scripts along with SecureCRT to achieve this.  But want to check before reinventing the wheel.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

I think that all the relevant

I think that all the relevant information from CDP/MAC/ARP etc. is available through SNMP, so there is no need to control a login-session and invest much brain in parsing the output. Especially if you think about that the outout could be different after an image-upgrade.

Beside of that, a good tool that also uses CDP for discovery is Netdot, or if I understand it right, the underlying software netdisco.

--
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

The problem is - due to

The problem is - due to security restrictions, SSH/Telnet is the only way.  No SNMP access.

Thanks!

Quite late answer but you may

Quite late answer but you may give a try to PrettyGoodTerminal at http://www.prettygoodterminal.com

BR

Views
Helpful
Replies