Views
Helpful
Replies

any performance data for 6509 16 port 10G--Thx

Gongyuan Yao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a pre-deployment test bed have a  6509 720 sup engine system with a 16 port 10G, and a ASA, a 4900M and VeEX testers. With 2 data streams, 10G traffic  generated from tester, the 10G card in 6509 system only can provide about 50% util bandwidth. Also I can not find where those frames were got dropped.

More detail: ten gi port 3 input X frames, but ten gi port 1 output will be much less (both trunk ports). This only occurs when traffic load higher than 5G traffic.

Is any one know any 10G performance test report?

Also does where we plug the 10G card make diff?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

gy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gongyuan,

WS-6716 has a 4:1 oversubscription and 4 tengiga ports are served by a single ASIC, only one port of the group of 4 ports can be line rate. So if in your tests you were using ports served by same ASIC your results my be explained by this fact.

see

16-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Copper Module

The 16-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet copper module (Figure 1) provides up to 130 10 Gigabit Ethernet copper ports in a single Cisco Catalyst 6509 Switch chassis and 260 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System (VSS) 1440 and is primarily designed for data center access with a secondary use case for switch-to-switch connectivity. It consists of 4 port groups of 4 ports each. Users can operate each port group in either oversubscription mode (2 to 4 ports used per port group) or performance mode (1 port used per port group), providing the flexibility to use some ports for connection to servers and other ports for interconnection of switches. In performance mode, up to 4 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports can be used to create a virtual switch link in a VSS.
Hope to help
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gongyuan,

WS-6716 has a 4:1 oversubscription and 4 tengiga ports are served by a single ASIC, only one port of the group of 4 ports can be line rate. So if in your tests you were using ports served by same ASIC your results my be explained by this fact.

see

16-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Copper Module

The 16-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet copper module (Figure 1) provides up to 130 10 Gigabit Ethernet copper ports in a single Cisco Catalyst 6509 Switch chassis and 260 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System (VSS) 1440 and is primarily designed for data center access with a secondary use case for switch-to-switch connectivity. It consists of 4 port groups of 4 ports each. Users can operate each port group in either oversubscription mode (2 to 4 ports used per port group) or performance mode (1 port used per port group), providing the flexibility to use some ports for connection to servers and other ports for interconnection of switches. In performance mode, up to 4 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports can be used to create a virtual switch link in a VSS.
Hope to help
Giuseppe

Thank you so much for your quick response.

We have 16-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module.

According to the spec, if I pick two ports in diff port group, then it will reach full rate (I assume port 1-4 in one group, such as), such as I pick up port 1 and 5 (or 7, etc.).

If we use 4-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module, that should give us full bandwidth.

Thanks again for your great help.

gy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card