cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anything like performance routing available for L2?

pnicolette
Level 1
Level 1

We have two parallel metro Ethernet links into the same VLAN from a critical site, but our provider doesn't support link aggregation/Etherchannel (and they're different speeds anyway), so we only have manual failover so far.

Cisco Performance Routing apparently can re-route if a link is degraded or down.  Is there anything comparable (or can CPR be adapted) for our Layer 2 Metro-E world?  Or is there a better way?  (Note:  each of our dozen sites has an L3 connection into the shared metro VLAN.  We run RIPv2 on a mix of switches and routers.)  We like the idea of failing over if the main link is degraded, since that's happened already due to provider hardware problems.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Paul

1 Reply 1

narainarun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

Its a good thinking of having performance routing in L2 but I am not sure whether its there.

One option I think which will work is to have two separate VLAN's with IP addresses configured on both the ends over the two metro links. Say VLAN A and IP addresses allowed only over primary metro link and VLAN B and IP addresses allowed only over seondary metro link. Now you can make use of performance routing by monitoring the primary IP of VLAN A on the other end. If the primary link has a degradation in quality then you can fall back to secondary link. This is just my thought.

HTH

Arun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card