cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Appling class-mappings to sub interface on Ethernet connection.

jomo frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Expert,

I created a subinterface on physical Ethernet interface of my 2811 router.

I effect I created two virtual lan vlan 1 and vlan 10.

Also both logical interface is assign respect ip address and none on the physical interface.

I have created class-maps and a policy map for the lan ---  but I am unsure which interface to apply the service policy.

Do i apply the service policy to the physical interface ( no ip address) or both sub interfaces.

Regards

Jomo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apply the policy-map to the subinterfaces (as these are your logical interfaces).  If you are simply using them for classification (setting/changing dscp, for example) or rate-limiting/policing, then this should be fine.

If you are actually trying to do some queueing (cbwfq/llq), then you should create a parent policy to shape the traffic to a specific congestion rate, for which the qos would start kicking in.

policy-map parentVlan1

class class-default

shape average 50000000 (50 megs in this case)

service-policy MyPolicyVlan1 (whatever the name is of your actual queueing policy)

Do the same for the second vlan as well ...

int f0/0.1

service-policy output parentVlan1

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apply the policy-map to the subinterfaces (as these are your logical interfaces).  If you are simply using them for classification (setting/changing dscp, for example) or rate-limiting/policing, then this should be fine.

If you are actually trying to do some queueing (cbwfq/llq), then you should create a parent policy to shape the traffic to a specific congestion rate, for which the qos would start kicking in.

policy-map parentVlan1

class class-default

shape average 50000000 (50 megs in this case)

service-policy MyPolicyVlan1 (whatever the name is of your actual queueing policy)

Do the same for the second vlan as well ...

int f0/0.1

service-policy output parentVlan1

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card