Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Archive

Hii,

Can anybody tell me how to use the archive command in to save routers and switch configuration in tftp server in a cretin time (daily or weekly  ...)

5 REPLIES

Re: Archive

Hii,

Can anybody tell me how to use the archive command in to save routers and switch configuration in tftp server in a cretin time (daily or weekly  ...)

Hi,

Check out the link below for kron policy configuration for scehdular backup on cisco devices hope that help

http://www.configureterminal.com/free/kron.html

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

amarmn1975

for weekly backup, your config should be:

ip tftp source-interface "fill_in_interface"

The archiving commands are:

archive
log config
  logging enable
  logging size 200
(<= This is the number of "comands issued by user X" that is saved in memory (if you use AAA, you can trace who changed what))
path tftp://IP_address/filename.txt
write-memory
(<= The config is saved to the tftp server if you perform a "write memory" or a "copy run start")
time-period 10800
(<= 10800 saves your config weekly, this is good enough if your network doesn't change daily).

but I prefer to use FTP as you can protect it with a username/password, if you use FTP it will look like:

ip ftp source-interface "fill_in_interface"

ip ftp username "username"

ip ftp password "password"

service password-encryption

archive
  log config
   logging enable
   logging size 200
(<= This is the number of "last comands issued by user X" is saved in memory (if you use AAA, you can trace who changed what))
  path ftp://IP_address/filename.txt
  write-memory
(<= The config is saved to the tftp server if you use a "write memory" or a "copy run start")
  time-period 10800
(<= 10800 saves your config weekly, this is good enough if your network doesn't change daily).

HTH

Hi,

you could use the archive ... time-period command, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/fun/command/reference/cfrgt_12.html#wp1058010

But IMHO, it's more useful to use archive ...write-memory
command to save your config into the archive every time you save the running- config into the startup-config.

HTH,

Milan

Milan

as you can see: I prefer to use time-priod & write-memory both in my config.

In case your collegue "forgets" to save the config, it is at least saved weekly :-)

Grt

S

Hi,

yes, I understand.

But then you've got many config copies with no change in fact.

Each solution has pros and cons :-)

BR,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies