cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are the non-S 2960 switches stackable?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are the non-S series 2960 switches stackable or are they only able to be uplinked?

Thanks!

John     

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Looking at the data sheet stacking seems to be only available in the S series:

What's new for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches with LAN Base Software:

•  10 and 1 Gigabit Ethernet uplink flexibility with Small Form-Factor  Pluggable Plus (SFP+), providing business continuity and fast transition  to 10 Gigabit Ethernet

• 24 or 48 ports of Gigabit Ethernet desktop connectivity

•  Cisco FlexStack stacking module with 20 Gbps of throughput, allowing  ease of operation with single configuration and simplified switch  upgrade

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

HTH

Thanks Reza. I was hoping that this was just an add-on module, but I had seen it in there as well. I'm assuming that there's no way of stacking the standard 2960 and see it as a single entity without this module.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

If you just want to manage multiple 2960s as a single entity, you might check whether they support clustering.

True stacking offers other advantages other than single entity management.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only the "S" are stackable.

There's a very, very crude way of "stacking" switches is this is using Switch Clustering.   Honestly, I don't see any real benefit of using Switch Clustering in modern times.  I mean, it was OK during early 2000 but with the advent of Stacking, Clustering has really no place nowadays.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card