cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

arp question

niro
Level 1
Level 1

I have an access switch plugged into our core with using a trunk port. To manage this switch I've added a vlan to it which also exists on the core (so it's routed throughout our network)...this switch also contains some vlans which are local to this switch and are not routed through the rest of the network. IP Routing is not enabled on the switch, and the trunk port only allows the routed vlan.

My problem is, for some reason when I try to connect to this switch it always fails, I can't even ping it. I'm getting an incomplete arp entry for my PC. I ran an arp debug and noticed that it's sending the arp request from one of the vlans that are not on the core...and the vlan is not allowed on the trunk....which would explain why it's not getting a response. How do I prevent that from happening?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you ping the switch from the Core?

You mentioned the switch does not have "ip routing" enable (which is fine) but have you configured a "ip default-gateway" on the switch so packets destined to other subnets know where to go?

Also, is the source workstation connected physically to this switch?

Can this workstation connect to the core (telnet)?

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

It looks like the switch does not have a route to your PC. When the switch doesn't do ip routing, you need to set it's default gateway to an ip adress in the correct subnet on the core switch or other device that should perform the routing.

For protocols like telnet and snmp you can also "fix" the interface that must be used by configuring:

ip telnet source-interface

ip snmp source-interface

regards,

Leo

That did not work. The source IP address requesting the mac on the switch is a network that the core does not have routes to...so even if I add the default route to the switch and enable ip routing it won't work...as the core won't know where to send the packets back.

The ip telnet source-int won't work either, as the switch is not even able to resolve my mac address.

Any other ideas?

Can you ping the switch from the Core?

You mentioned the switch does not have "ip routing" enable (which is fine) but have you configured a "ip default-gateway" on the switch so packets destined to other subnets know where to go?

Also, is the source workstation connected physically to this switch?

Can this workstation connect to the core (telnet)?

__

Edison.

ah ok...using ip default-gateway worked...ip route 0.0.0.0 0 didn't. I'm still a bit confused as to why it sourced the mac request from that vlan rather then one of the ones allowed on the trunk.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 will only work if you have ip routing enabled.

With ip routing disabled, you need ip default-gateway.

Without knowing where to go, it was picking a random Vlan, and the chosen Vlan was the one you saw in your debug.

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco