Helpful
Replies

ARP with Cluster IP

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Netpro

i have cluster issue with 2 servers

for instance server one has the address of 1.1.1.2 while server 2 has the address 1.1.1.3 ,so the cluster address will be 1.1.1.1,now i can ping 1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.3, while unable tp ping the cluster IP 1.1.1.1,i think because of the ARP,so to resolve this issue i need to add  ARP entry in the core switch where the servers are connected,so the question is how to find the MAC address of the cluster which is 1.1.1.1 to added as the below format

arp 1.1.1.1 <mac-address> ARPA

pls advise

thanks

1 Reply 1

sleepyshark
Level 1
Level 1

You're going to have to look at the cluster admin/config to find the virtual IP address of the cluster.  Essentially, the Virtual IP address should have it's own virtual MAC address (with a short time out), and should register it with the switch gear in order to resolve properly.

Once a failure occurers, the secondary machine should update the MAC entry on the virtual IP address to the MAC address of the new server....

That's the theory behind it, it's just a matter of finding where (inside your cluster admin/config) the virtual IP is setup, which should give you information about it and the associated MAC address.

Thanks,

Sean Brown

http://www.sleepyshark.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card