Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Config Upload.

dendazen2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All.

If i connected the latop to brand new out of the box ASA 5505 through consloe cable

and i have a config file on this laptop from other ASA5505, is there anyway i can upload

that config file into startup-config of this new ASA5505 through console cable, without using

TFTP or FTP?

Thank you in advance for replies.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ahhh.  Sorry I misunderstood.  You would need a tftp server program(free available online) and a cross over cable from you laptop to the ASA to copy the file via tftp.  tftp will not work over console 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ahmadalnajjar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Danial,

Sure you can login to the CLI and post your previous configs considering that the new ASA has the same licences and modules as the previous ASA.  Otherwise some modifiction must be done to acoomedicate the changes. 

Regards,

Ahmad Al-Najjar

Model and licensing all the same.

I just want to find the way how to upload that file i have with config into this new ASA through console cable.

Thank you.

Hello Danila,

If you are using Windows XP then you still have hyper terminal follow this link

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/compass/common/tasks/task_console_port_connect.htm

If you are using Windows 7 then you would need to a get porgram such as putty

then you may follow the instructions at this link.

http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/labs/section-1-getting-started-with-your-cisco-lab/lab-1-2-connecting-to-a-cisco-device-via-console/

You did mention that you are using a Laptop.  Most laptops these days do not have a serial port.  If your does not then you will need a Serial to USB adapter.  You would then need to know the COM port assiged to your console cable. 

Good Luck!

Regards,

Ahmad Al-Najjar

Hi Ahmad.

Thank you for your reply.

You misunderstood my question a little.

I am connected to the terminall session through (putty and console cable) to the new ASA already from my laptop

My question is can i upload the config file using console terminal session from the config file which is on the laptop hard drive without using "copy tftp: running-config" or copy ftp: running-config".

Thank you.

Ahhh.  Sorry I misunderstood.  You would need a tftp server program(free available online) and a cross over cable from you laptop to the ASA to copy the file via tftp.  tftp will not work over console 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card