cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASIC's on 6548 blades

pndennie93
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me the speed between the AISC's and the back-plane on the 6548 blades? And how many ports are supported per ASIC?

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Neel

The WS-X6548 has 6 port groups and each groups shares a single ASIC. Each ASIC has a 1Gbps connection to the switch fabric.

So there is a large amount of oversubscription. These cards are really for end devices ie. the wiring closet and should not be used for servers etc.

Jon

So does the 6700's share this same issue? And we are also migrating to the Nexus 7K' can I expect the same over-subscriptions?

also are there any IOS commands that can help me determine is the ASIC is over-subscribed

No the 67xx modules generally don't share this issue. The 6748-GE-TX for example has 2 x 20Gbps connection to the switch fabric. With 48 x 10/100/1000 ports if you had 48 servers all generating 1Gbps of traffic each that would oversubscribe the card ie. 48Gbps from servers but only 40Gbps to switch fabric, but that is unlikely to happen.

For server farms etc. the 6748 is a much better choice. Be aware that with the 67xx modules you have to use the Sup720.

Not used the Nexus switches.

Jon

Have the SUP 720's. The reason I am bringing this up is I have some over runs on a port channel and they are on ports 6 and 8 in the same blade and another port channel is on 2 and 4. I think I am killing the ASIC but would like proof....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: