cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - NEW CATALYST 4500E

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation.  This is an opportunity to get information on the new Supervisor 7E and related system on the Catalyst 4500 with Mala Srivastava.  Mala is a Senior Product Manager leading the campus distribution business segment for the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switch. She joined Cisco in 2000 and has worked in several roles, including software development on the Gigabit Switch Router and product management on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and 4500 series product lines. Mala holds a master's degree in electrical engineering from Purdue University and a master's degree in business administration from the University of California at Los Angeles.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mala know if you have received an adequate response.

Mala might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the  unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the  event. This event lasts through October 22, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

27 Replies 27

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mala

Firstly, thank you for hosting this session.

With the new sup7-E and the greater throughput available ie. up to 48Gbps per slot with the right linecards/chassis this switch could now be seriously considered as a collapsed core/distro switch in a medium sized campus. Are there any plans to support something like MEC/VSS/VPC on the new supervisor as this would be very useful and would allow for greater flexibility in L2/L3 design.

Jon

Hi Jon,

You're right - we do position the Catalyst 4500 as a Price-Performance Campus Distribution.

I am happy to share Catalyst 4500 Roadmap items if you have an NDA - please contact me through your Cisco account team/ Partner.

Thanks,

Mala

GOOD MORNING

THIS IS MY QUESTION:

IS THE CAT 4597R+ E  SUPPORTED FOR CISCO NETWORK ASSISTANT 5.5?

IN ATTACH IS MY PROBLEM

IF IS SUPPORTED  HOW DO I CPNFIGURE THE SWITCH?

THE IOS VERSION IS 12.2 (54)  IP BASE

REGGARDS

Jon this is a bizarre way to contact you, its Angela I need to speak to you and its very important. Please if i leave you my e mail address please get in touch. I would ask but am desperate.

Thanks angela.

igorkouznetsov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mala,

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2046606?tstart=0

would you confirm that with sup7 all slots of 4510RE can run at 48gbps, and the limitation of sup6 "6 Gbps only on slots 8-10" is lifted?

Please comment the stability issue.

"would you recommend going for sup7 at all? My key factor is stability, not performance. Is the sup7 with IOS15 as stable as sup6 with IOS12?"

Do you plan to add server load balancing feature to 4500 line with sup7?

As of today, our cisco dealer offers sup6 and sup7 at the same price, will it be always like that, or you'll differentiate soon?

thanks,

-igor

With Sup7E and the new 4510R+E chassis, you can run all slots at 48G/ slot

Would definitely recommend Sup7E. We have found Sup7E to be stable in our internal testing.  No immediate plan to add SLB on Sup7E.

Would also recommend going with Sup7E since its newer and has significant advantages (Performance, Netflow, IOS-XE, PoEP and 10G scale to name a few) at the same price as Sup6E. No immediate plan to change price.

Thanks,

Mala

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mala,

Just want to confirm that the Sup7 is 48Gbps full duplex or half duplex?

Full Duplex and 48G/ slot each way.

Thanks,

Mala

Thanks Mala (+5).

agugger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mala

How is the backplane organization now?

8 Channels with 6 Gbps per slot?

(In such words use the Sup6E 8 Channels with 3Gbps per slot) 

How is he behavior of the 10Ge interface of the WS-X4712-SFP+E ?

How is the influence of the mapping from the backplane channels to the 10GE Ports?

Do we have fix clocking between ports and backplane channels?

Can 1 of 12 10GE ports send wire speed 10 Gigabit stream?

Can 1 of 12 10GE ports receive wire speed 10 Gigabit stream?

Can 4 of 12 10GE ports send simultaneous wire speed 10 Gigabit stream?

Can 4 of 12 10GE ports receive simultaneous wire speed 10 Gigabit stream?

How is the reaction if all 12 10GE ports receive simultaneous wire speed 10 Gigabit stream?

Do we have groups of ports as on 4606 (with 2 groups of 3 ports) line card?

In a configuration with two redundant supervisors 7E in one chassis can 4 of 8 10GE uplink ports be active.

Is it possible to use all 8 10GE Uplinks with oversubscriptions?

What are about supervisors 7E and VSS?

What are about TrustSec in 4500Eplus?

Thanks

Andy

Hi,

With the new Sup7E you get

1). 48G/ slot on chassis 4503E, 4506E 4507R+E and 4510R+E

2). 24G/ slot on all slots of 4507R-E and 4510R-E

Only 4 uplinks are active in a redundant configuration (2+2 and non-blocking)

For the 4712 Linecard -

1). It is 2.5:1 oversubscribed since it has a 48G connection to the backplane

2). Ports are organized into 4 groups. By using only 1 port as 10G in each group, you can get 4 port non-blocking (1:1) 10G with 8 ports of non-blocking 1G

For 4606 Linecard -

1). It is 2.5:1 oversubscribed since it has a 24G connection to the backplane

2). Ports are organized into 2 groups. By using only 1 port as 10G in each group, you can get 2 port non-blocking (1:1) 10G with 4 ports of non-blocking 1G

VSS and TrustSec are on the roadmap with Sup7E. Please contact your account team for roadmap details under NDA.

Hope I answered all your Qs. Please feel free to post a follow up.

Thanks,

Mala

atukegyat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i have sorted the wireless problem and it works fine after such a long time searching around, Can someone please tell me how to access the camera through a web page i can do that by typing the http://(cameras ip address):(cameras port number) and it works fine but thats from my pc when i have asked people to view it it dont work for some reason not sure why ? i think it might only work from my pc as my pc and the camera share the same internet access but when someone else try it from another location it dont work can someone please tell me what am i doing wrong here o what's missing ?

Thank You

Hi,

This is a forum for Cat4K questions. Please post your wireless Q in the appropriate forum.

Thanks,
Mala

mario-leitao
Level 4
Level 4

I saw that the price of the sup7e and the 6e are the same. Does the sup6e is going to be discontinued? Any specific reason to buy the 6e? Are the sup7e compatible with old 4500 chassis?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: