cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - NEW CATALYST 4500E

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation.  This is an opportunity to get information on the new Supervisor 7E and related system on the Catalyst 4500 with Mala Srivastava.  Mala is a Senior Product Manager leading the campus distribution business segment for the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switch. She joined Cisco in 2000 and has worked in several roles, including software development on the Gigabit Switch Router and product management on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and 4500 series product lines. Mala holds a master's degree in electrical engineering from Purdue University and a master's degree in business administration from the University of California at Los Angeles.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mala know if you have received an adequate response.

Mala might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the  unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the  event. This event lasts through October 22, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

27 Replies 27

Hi Mala,

Please advice, Do we have IOS that is VTP V3 Capable on 4510R Switch.

Kind regards

Johannes Lekhasi

nunez.johnny
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know what is required to attach a power over ethernet wireless access points to a Cisco 4500E switch. Is it as simple as connecting a ethernet cable between the wireless access point and the Cisco 4500E switch? Or do we need to purchase additional power over ethernet equipment to install on our rack? I am looking to purchase a Linksys Wireless-N Access Point with Dual-Band WAP610N access point. Is this access point compatible with Cisco's 4500E switch?

Johnny

sacpaul3111
Level 1
Level 1

I got 2 fiber connected to two core from this 4500 with two SUP. I am trying to console to standby sup and it says standby console disabled.

Thanks in advance

Ricardo Duarte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any planned increase in the maximum number of supported etherchannels (currently 64) with sup7-e.

Also, would you recommend sup7-e as a collapsed core/distribution/datacenter switch for a small/medium company (100 persons, ~300 devices, no SAN)?

Can you comment on the reliability and high availability of a dual sup7-e on a single 4510R+E chassis for datacenter workloads?

Thanks.

R

inewman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I see the maximum switching of the Supervisor 7-E is 848 Gbps. If the largest chassis is 10 slots and they are 48Gbps each how would you be able to get 848 Gbps of data in to the switch?

Thank you!

venkat.247cs
Level 1
Level 1

non-volatile memory has been deleted. please help

hi,

Please help me installing IOS for cisco 4503 e catalyst switch. The base ios image file has been deleted.

please guide me in installing the ios and from where can i download the ios verison.

The device has 2 10 Gig uplinks and I have access to console of the device.when i boot up the device it comes "rommom >"

I do have tftp server and i have also configure the IP in fast ethternet mgmt port.

I've given you a possible solution to try.

Hi,

yes i am not able ti find the correct IOS thats the problem i figured out how to upload it via tftp.
can you please let me know which ios i should use.

Hey Venkat,

Dude, I'm so not going to answer your question here because this is the "Ask The Expert" section.  Go and read your ORIGINAL post.

ikbeli230477
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Why no one can respond at the question asked by Mr Ian Newman ? :

I  see the maximum switching of the Supervisor 7-E is 848 Gbps. If the  largest chassis is 10 slots and they are 48Gbps each how would you be  able to get 848 Gbps of data in to the switch?

i had the same question ?

Best regards

Hi there,

A 4510R+E you can have 8 line cards plus 2 Sup7e.

The Sup supports 48Gbps per line cards, and each Sup7e can use 20Gbps in redundant configurations. This is for each traffic direction, so you need double that as bandwidth.

So, the total system bandwith will be (48*8 + 20*2)*2 = 848Gbps.

Regards.

rjugnauth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Been trying to clarify the features; looks like the SUP7-E has not been added as main platform on Cisco Feature Navigator. What I'm looking for is the support of EIGRP on the Universal or IP Base Image. I used the latest available; which is SUP6-E with IP Base.

It mentions of EIGRP stub and EIGRP Support for route map filtering.

While using Route-Map Filtering, features of EIGRP are normally there.

Do we have all features of EIGRP available; if not, what are the limitations?

Thanx and regards,

Ravi

It appears that EIGRP is available fully in the SUP7E, but you have to upgrade to IP Base, then to Enterprise Services.  EIGRP stub routing is available in the IP Base upgrade.  We looked at upgrading from LAN Base to IP Base for certain capabilities, but the license was very cost prohibitive.  The SUP7E uses universal images now and it comes with LAN Base.  You have to purchase IP Base or Enterprise Services to acquire those features.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card