cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign Public IP to LAN Computers

hyouhaku2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I recently purchased the RV180 router and right now it acts as the NAT gateway of my network.

My questions is, what is the proper way to assign let's say 5 public IP address to 5 machines inside LAN?

The router has LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 and public IP say 121.121.121.121-125

LAN computers have IP range 192.168.1.x

My approach was to have one-to-one NAT, mapping 121.121.121.122 to 192.168.1.32

and 121.121.121.123 to 192.168.1.33 and so on

It works so far but the problem is that if I try to access those public IP from inside LAN, they all point to the router, and I can't find any tool to redirect traffice unless modifying host file on each computer. So I guess there's better way to do this?

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

Why would you want to access the public ips from the internal network? Setup dns internally and use the internal addresses to access those services.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

thank you Jeff.

I have about 50 domain names pointing to those public IPs. So I will have to set up an internal DNS server and every time there's a dns change, I'll have to update both internal and public DNS servers?

and the reason I have to use public domain is for example apache virtual host, it reads domain name      

I'd say internal dns is better than a hosts file on all the internal machines.

Also, I'm don't know what these web servers are hosting, but NOT putting them in a dmz separated from your internal hosts is relatively unheard of in a corporate environment anymore.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

ok I guess I'll need to set up an internal DNS.

I would prefer putting them in DMZ but RV180 only allows 1 dmz host so i don't have choices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card