Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance in NAC L2 802.1x Configuration

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi There,

I am in the process of configuring my 2960 SW for NAC L2 802.1x AAA services. I went through the confiugraion manual found in the below link which is explaning the dot1x config but it is not clear to me whether the switch, in dot1x, will assign the port VLAN automatically according to the client posture or are the ports VLAN membership is pre-configured on the switch for each port?

If the switch automatically assigns the port VLAN, what is the criteria used for this and how does the switch understand that this client has to be in VLAN 20 for example and not 30?

The config guide I referred to is under:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns617/c649/cdccont_0900aecd8040bbd8.pdf

Thanks,

Haitham

3 Replies 3

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Haitham,

The way it works is that you have to configure the switchports for dot1x with guest-vlan and the authentication vlan. You have to configure the user profile in AAA server, where you will assign the user vlan on the user profile. When the user connects the PC to the switch port and the posture assesment starts, after the successful event, the port vlan will be automatically configured as per the user profile in the AAA server. You have to enable to following radius attributes on the user profile or group profile.

Assign vendor-specific tunnel attributes in the RADIUS server. The RADIUS server must return these attributes to the switch:

?[64] Tunnel-Type = VLAN

?[65] Tunnel-Medium-Type = 802

?[81] Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = VLAN name or VLAN ID

Are you using Cisco ACS 4.0 for NAC framework or Cisco NAC appliance for posture assesment?

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your response; I am using ACS 4.0 engine for posture validation.

Do you have any reference for ACS complete configuration for dot1x support?

Appreciate it,

Haitham

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card