Replies

assymetric routing

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

assymetric.png

Hi all 

As in the picture vlan 13 has priority 200 sw2. if i run traceroute

i can see the traffic hits at sw2 ( interface 192.168.7.10)

If that is the case , i need to change the access list only on the SW2. ( because traffic never going to the SW1) .

In reality i have to change the access list on both switches  otherwise it wont work .

Is it because of assymetric routing . How can i observe or detect  the assymetric routing ?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What is the purpose of the access list? Outgoing traffic from pc1 in vlan 13 will take sw2 path since it has higher priority but incoming traffic could use both sw1 and 2. So, not sure what you are trying to do with the access list.

HTH

The original poster does not tell us whether the access list is applied inbound or outbound and that might turn out to be a significant aspect and based on the very limited detail supplied I am guessing that the access list is applied outbound.

When PC 1 does traceroute the first hop response will come from SW 2 since it has the virtual address for VLAN 13. But most traffic is not just to SW 2 but is to some destination beyond SW 2. And the responses coming from that destination may also use SW 1 resulting the in the need to update the access list on both SW 1 and SW 2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card