Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic back up on Cisco devices

I am planned to do the automatic configuration on all my network devices.. I  had successfully implemented  automatic back up  configuration on Router and switches with krone policy. But i am not able to configure the same  on ACS,ACE & ASA firewall and ISE.

all are cisco devices. I can able to configure krone policy on ACS but back up was not working,   kindly suggest how to configure automatic back up on above said devices.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes RANCID requiries a Unix type server - most commonly people use Linux since it is free and relatively simple to install.

Once you have a Linux server (can be a VM), you simply follow and of the serveral how-to guides out there. The RANCID home page has a link to this one: LINK

View solution in original post

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Other than Rancid I also like this:

http://opennetadmin.com/

But like Marvin mentioned that you will need a Linux server to run these.  If you are looking for a Windows based I think the cheapest one around is Kiwi which is around $750 I think.

By the way you can also use the archive command to backup the router and switch configs.  And change the path to a computer with a TFTP server running.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most people who backup their configurations use a third part product for doing so. Probably the most popular free one is RANCID. It will cover routers, switches, ACE and ASA I know for sure. Others include Kiwi (SolarWinds) cattools, SolarWinds NCM, Cisco Pime Infrastructure, etc.

ACS and ISE have only minimal information in their configurations file and instead use a database to store most of the settings. Both of them have built-in backup utilities whose backup files can be archived remotely.

can i get the details about Rancid how to use the tool. Please share the procedure to install the tool and how to to the back up with that tool. I am hearing this first time..

The RANCID home page has all the info you need:

http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

i am not able to get this. Since it all commands look like linux commands.. Wheather we need to create any VM ware in the server to run this RANCID. or its like tool we can install directly in the PC(like team viewer,solarwinds and TFTP). Please sry to ask this chilly questions...

Yes RANCID requiries a Unix type server - most commonly people use Linux since it is free and relatively simple to install.

Once you have a Linux server (can be a VM), you simply follow and of the serveral how-to guides out there. The RANCID home page has a link to this one: LINK

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Other than Rancid I also like this:

http://opennetadmin.com/

But like Marvin mentioned that you will need a Linux server to run these.  If you are looking for a Windows based I think the cheapest one around is Kiwi which is around $750 I think.

By the way you can also use the archive command to backup the router and switch configs.  And change the path to a computer with a TFTP server running.

archive command we had bug in cisco. It not taking the back up correctly as per time configuration. Right i am looking freeware to take the back up locally with my windows machine.

Marvin option was good. But we need linux server( VM need to create) and also network not much aware of linux commands. So its difficult for us implement with out much knowledge about  Linux.

I had  implemented krone policy but its working fine for router and switch only then i had problem  to take back up of ACS,ISE,ACE and firewall . The automatic back up tool should be unique.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card