cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Avaya 9611g Phone not getting voice vlan IP

shane.marks
Level 1
Level 1

We are connecting to a customers switch and they sent us a couple of Avaya 9611g phones to test with.  I have a Cisco 6513 switch.  I have the vlan configured as the default and voice vlan configured of 157.  When I plug the phone in, it only gets the an ip from the default vlan.

DHCP scopes are setup on windows 2003 server with option 242....on the vlan config on the switch I have the ip helper-addres set.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are two settings you need. (Based on the 9630 series phones). The data scope needs dhcp option 242 set to  L2Q=1,L2Qvlan=(voice network). The phone will read these parameters and then reboot itself to and place this it in the voice vlan. On the second boot it will pick up a voice IP address and then read the option 242 for the call manager settings. The port config doesn't need trunking just switchport access vlan x, switchport voice vlan y. (Ipad won't let me put returns in the posting....)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

michael o'nan
Level 4
Level 4

Try setting up LLDP and see if you get anything different.

Hi Michael

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I have tried that on my Cisco 6513 and I don't see anywhere I can set that...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/46sg/configuration/guide/Wrapper-46SG/swlldp.html

It is straight forward configuration. Cisco IP phones learn the voice VLAN via CDP. Since Avaya phones don't have CDP they may work with LLDP. The other option would be to make it a trunk port and restrict to only the voice and data VLANs.

Michael

Thanks again for your reply.  I am not having much luck being able to enable lldp on my switch.

I have tried the trunking on port with the following config.

interface fastethernet 9/1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 157

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1, 157

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

157 is the voice vlan and 1 is my data vlan.  If I don't have the native command in the there my phone gets an ip address from the data vlan...with that command in there I get an ip of the proper voice vlan.

Thanks

Shane

You would have to see on the phone settings if there is a way to manually enter a VLAN tag.

For lldp have you tried

Switch#(config) lldp run

or just lldp ?

Thanks again

The phone is in a different physical location.  I am programing the switch.  I am used to having Cisco phones :-)

I will have my tech check the phone for that.

on my switch console when I am global config prompt....and I do a

lldp ?   I get %unrecognized command

Thanks

Shane

There are two settings you need. (Based on the 9630 series phones). The data scope needs dhcp option 242 set to  L2Q=1,L2Qvlan=(voice network). The phone will read these parameters and then reboot itself to and place this it in the voice vlan. On the second boot it will pick up a voice IP address and then read the option 242 for the call manager settings. The port config doesn't need trunking just switchport access vlan x, switchport voice vlan y. (Ipad won't let me put returns in the posting....)

shane.marks
Level 1
Level 1

Thank You...once I did that it works like a charm

Thanks

Shane

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card