Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Bronze

bandwidth command

Hi every body.

Let say we have two switches ,sw1 and sw2 with 10/100 ports.

Both are connected as:

sw1 f0/1----------f0/1 sw2

Now if i configure sw1 as:

int f0/1

bandwidth 10,000K ( same thing 10Mb)

sw2:

int f0/1

bandwidth 10,000K

will the link operate at 10M? I understand if i use the speed command on both switches,. , it will sure operate at 10M. But i am just wondering how bandwidth command affects the speed in the above case.

================================

thanks a lot.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: bandwidth command

Hi Sarah,

The port will not operate at 10M. The bandwidth command will only affect the routing metric calculation of the link. Also, it will also influence QoS.

HTH,

jerry

Gold

the bandwidth command affects routing metrics only...to change the actual speed of a link, use the 'speed' command.

Hi Sarah,

The bandwidth command will not affect the actual port speed.

On layer3 ports, you can set the administrative bandwidth to influence routing protocol cost calculations or QoS settings.

For example, OSPF calculates the interface cost by the following formula:

Cost = 100,000,000 / bandwidth.

(bandwidth in this case is taken as bits per second)

Cheers:

Istvan

The bandwidth command doesn't affect the actual speed. It's used for calculations like the others have mentioned.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

The port will not operate at 10M. The bandwidth command will only affect the routing metric calculation of the link. Also, it will also influence QoS.

HTH,

jerry

Gold

the bandwidth command affects routing metrics only...to change the actual speed of a link, use the 'speed' command.

Hi Sarah,

The bandwidth command will not affect the actual port speed.

On layer3 ports, you can set the administrative bandwidth to influence routing protocol cost calculations or QoS settings.

For example, OSPF calculates the interface cost by the following formula:

Cost = 100,000,000 / bandwidth.

(bandwidth in this case is taken as bits per second)

Cheers:

Istvan

The bandwidth command doesn't affect the actual speed. It's used for calculations like the others have mentioned.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content