cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Limiting

tonyraboza
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 10Mbps connection to the Internet (see attached diagram). There are two "groups" basically competing for this 10Mbps - the corporate Internet users and our Internet connected servers. What I want to do is to guarantee bandwidth for the servers - for example 4Mbps (out of the 10Mbps) dedicated to the servers and the rest for the users.

What I'm thinking of is doing some kind of rate-limiting on the Cisco 3750 switch. There seems to be no "rate-limit" command on that switch. I think this can also be done on the Linux box but might be easier on the Cisco switch. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

1. Are both the networks on diffrent Vlans.

2. Have you configued the router as router-on-stick ?

3. If possible plz paste the config for the router and switch.

If this is config as a router-on-stick. that is for linux you have diffrent vlan which is connected to the swith on a vlan which has a subiterfice on the router.

In this case you can do use rate-limit command on the router itself.

The way i feel it can be done is srr-queue

Switch(config)# interface FastEthernet 0/8

Switch(config-if)# srr-queue bandwidth limit 90

The 90 sets the outbound bandwidth limit on the port to 90 percent of the port speed. Since this is a 100-Mb port, this should limit the outbound traffic from the port to 10 Mb.

So you have to put the digit as 96 percent

Hope this helps.

regards,

Pravin

View solution in original post

hi,

You can do it by srr-queue command for outbound b/w limit.

Since the limitation of srr-queue is that it only limit b/w 90%(max) of port speed.

if u rusing 100 Mbps port then you should made the port speed 10 Mbps (by command speed 10)

then u apply command srr-queue bandwith limit 40 which gives exatly 4 mbps link

thanks

rajib

Police is only supported as "input" not "output".

Place the service-policy in the incoming interface from the Linux box and the ACL should consists of the 'interesting' traffic from the Linux box towards the rest of the world.

HTH,

__

Edison.

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tony,

Please take a moment and read the 3750 QoS documentation at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html

You can configure a MQC (Modular QoS CLI) with police, which serves the same function as a 'rate-limit'.

HTH,

__

Edison.

rajib_das
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can do "rate limit" in cisco 3570 with police command .

For that you have to create class map and policy map and apply it in port with service-policy input/output

thanks

Hi Edison, Rajib,

Thanks for the kind reply. I want to limit the downloads on the Linux Internet Gateway box (see diagram on my first post) to 4Mbps - which means I must limit on the outbound direction from the 3750 switch.

Here are the relevant configurations I made:

==

ip access-list extended ACL_SLAP

permit ip any any

class-map match-all CLASS_SLAP

match access-group name ACL_SLAP

!

!

policy-map POLICY_SLAP

class CLASS_SLAP

police 4000000 100000 exceed-action drop

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16

description "Internet Gateway"

switchport access vlan 61

service-policy input POLICY_SLAP

spanning-tree portfast

==

When I try to assign POLICY_SLAP to service-policy output - I get the following error:

(config-if)#service-policy output POLICY_SLAP

Warning: Assigning a policy map to the output side of an interface not supported

I need to "rate-limit" on the output of the interface to be able to limit the downloads from the Linux Internet gateway - any tips?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi,

1. Are both the networks on diffrent Vlans.

2. Have you configued the router as router-on-stick ?

3. If possible plz paste the config for the router and switch.

If this is config as a router-on-stick. that is for linux you have diffrent vlan which is connected to the swith on a vlan which has a subiterfice on the router.

In this case you can do use rate-limit command on the router itself.

The way i feel it can be done is srr-queue

Switch(config)# interface FastEthernet 0/8

Switch(config-if)# srr-queue bandwidth limit 90

The 90 sets the outbound bandwidth limit on the port to 90 percent of the port speed. Since this is a 100-Mb port, this should limit the outbound traffic from the port to 10 Mb.

So you have to put the digit as 96 percent

Hope this helps.

regards,

Pravin

hi,

You can do it by srr-queue command for outbound b/w limit.

Since the limitation of srr-queue is that it only limit b/w 90%(max) of port speed.

if u rusing 100 Mbps port then you should made the port speed 10 Mbps (by command speed 10)

then u apply command srr-queue bandwith limit 40 which gives exatly 4 mbps link

thanks

rajib

Police is only supported as "input" not "output".

Place the service-policy in the incoming interface from the Linux box and the ACL should consists of the 'interesting' traffic from the Linux box towards the rest of the world.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco