Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

banner motd and blank lines.

I noted some problems recently with some of my switches.  I want to have some blank lines in my banner motd message.  On a switch I run 12.2.58SE2 it looks great.  I tried to put the message on a switch running 12.2.55SE4 and the blank lines are removed.  Granted it is not critical, just cosmetic but it does make the notice easier to read.  I have read a number of answers on this forum the last saying that this seems to be a particularly hard bug to squash, as it has appeared in releases, only to be fixed, and then only to re-appear.  The last message I saw remarked that the bug was fixed as of 12.2.55SE2, but I seem to have it again in 12.2.55SE4.  I can't put 12.2.58 on the switches I am using, and I'd rather not fall back to 12.2.55SE2.  Any ideas?  If not, I guess I'll just but a dash or 2 at the begining of the line to break it up and get a  mostly blank line. 

I am also getting the problem on my 4507 as well running 12.2.54SG1, but  I haven't seen anything in the community on that but I'm assuming that it is the same repeating bug problem. 

Thanks

Chris

6 REPLIES

Chris,

Try inserting a single character like a "." or "-" at the beginning of the blank line.

Re: banner motd and blank lines.

Hi Chris,

You seem to have done your research thoroughly.

This is a problem where you may consider to generate a Service Request from the forum post.

Not sure if it helps but it may wake-up a few people.

regards,

Leo

Re: banner motd and blank lines.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did create a TAC case to see what Cisco had to say.  My 3560 was not supported, but my 4507 is so I used that contract.  I'll mention that I have seen the problem on other hardware models when I chat with the engineer.  I appreciate you confirming my idea of using a dash or something on the line to break up the sections.  I figured that would work and have confirmed it. 

I guess that's what I'll have to use unless Cisco gives me a better option. 

Chris

Chris, was googling around trying to find an answer and stumbled here. After playing around, I added a tab at the beginning of each blank line so that it doesnt get treated by IOS as a useless line. Some versions of IOS seem to accept the blank lines and others don't. HTH

Didn't think of that choice.  I am just using a dash or period.  Thanks for the idea.   I guess I should have tried using a tab.

Chris 

No problem! I used the periods and thought, "well this works, but it sure is ugly." Glad the tabs worked

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content