Helpful
Replies

baseband and broadband signalling

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

hi every body.

I have few questions .

1)Can broadband signaling be in digital? for example  fiber can  be used as broadband medium carrying more than one signals such as voice,data in digital.  On the other hand, we can also see cable Internet  also use a broadband signaling as more than one signal such tv channels are carried by the co-axial cable. So is it not necessary that broadband signaling will always be in analog form. am i correct?

2) can baseband signaling be in analog form?  or it always in digital form as is the case with Ethernet ?

thanks and have a good weekend.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi every body.

I have few questions .

1)Can broadband signaling be in digital? for example  fiber can  be used as broadband medium carrying more than one signals such as voice,data in digital.  On the other hand, we can also see cable Internet  also use a broadband signaling as more than one signal such tv channels are carried by the co-axial cable. So is it not necessary that broadband signaling will always be in analog form. am i correct?

2) can baseband signaling be in analog form?  or it always in digital form as is the case with Ethernet ?

Hi Sarah,

For your query baseband can carry both analog and digital signal where as broadband carries analog signal and another difference is Baseband signal  is like point to point communication and broadband to is point to multipoint communication.Baseband signals  will carry single signal in a medium but Broadband can carry multisignals through single medium with shared bandwidth.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

If helpful do rate the post

View solution in original post

In broadband, total bandwidth is sliced among different channels.  For example  cable tv, each station is allocated a slice of total bandwidth.  In cable we see these channels  are analog.  But do they have to be?   For example in fiber optic medium., we do the same thing  , transmitting multiple channels( such as voice,data,video)  at the same time but in digital form.    So i am observing that broadband medium    can carry multiple analog  as well as digital signals as is the case with fiber.     The question remains if i am correct in my observation.

Second issue  is baseband does not mean point to point  communication.   Point to point  communication means either we have dedicated link or virtual link between two nodes.   As we know  ethernet is shared medium,  for example  10base-T  using hub is good example   where base signaling is used on a shared medium.

Thanks

Baseband devotes the entire capacity of the medium to one communication channel. Broadband enables two or more communication channels to share the bandwidth of the communications medium. Baseband is the most common mode of operation. Most LANs function in baseband mode, for example. Baseband signaling can be accomplished with both analog and digital signals. Although you might not realize it, you have a great deal of experience with broadband transmissions. Consider, for example, that the TV cable coming into your house from an antenna or a cable provider is a broadband medium. Many television signals can share the bandwidth of the cable because each signal is modulated using a separately assigned frequency. You can use the television tuner to choose the channel you want to watch by selecting its frequency. This technique of dividing bandwidth into frequency bands is called 'Frequency-division Multiplexing' (FDM) and works only with analog signals. Another technique, called 'Time-division Multiplexing' (TDM), supports digital signals.

Yes you are right in broadband  signalling divides the network medium into multiple channels, allowing several signals to traverse the medium at the same time.

Baseband signaling only sends a single signal over the cable. This type of signaling is typically used in Ethernet networks, with the exception of 10Broad3 standard (rarely used). Baseband uses very simple transceiver devices that send and receive signals on a cable. The simplicity behind baseband signaling is that only three states need to be distinquished: one, zero and idle.

Broadband transceivers are much more complex because they must be able to distinquish those same states, but on multiple channels within the same cable. Because of its simplicity, baseband signaling is used on most Ethernet networks.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hello Ganesh,

>> This technique of dividing bandwidth into frequency bands is called 'Frequency-division Multiplexing' (FDM) and works only with analog signals. Another technique, called 'Time-division Multiplexing' (TDM), supports digital signals.

this is not generally true: forms of FDM are possible also for digital signals for example in DVB-T that is under introduction in some european countries like Italy.

Also in Hybrid Fiber networks like cable networks is possible to multiplex in frequency analog signals ( AM or FM TV channels) and data services like internet access.

In digital demodulation after frequency translation (to go back to baseband like in a TV or radio tuner) the receiver eestimates one or more digits over a symbol interval.

in analog demodulation after frequency translation (to go back to baseband like in a TV or radio tuner) the modulating waveform over time is the result of the operation.

All these modulations and demodulations are modeled with maths operations like Fourier transformation  or Z transformation and are implemented in DSPs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

6 Replies 6

I too have the same doubt. Can someone clarify please.

Rgds

Narendrakumar B

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi every body.

I have few questions .

Hi Sarah,

For your query baseband can carry both analog and digital signal where as broadband carries analog signal and another difference is Baseband signal  is like point to point communication and broadband to is point to multipoint communication.Baseband signals  will carry single signal in a medium but Broadband can carry multisignals through single medium with shared bandwidth.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

If helpful do rate the post

In broadband, total bandwidth is sliced among different channels.  For example  cable tv, each station is allocated a slice of total bandwidth.  In cable we see these channels  are analog.  But do they have to be?   For example in fiber optic medium., we do the same thing  , transmitting multiple channels( such as voice,data,video)  at the same time but in digital form.    So i am observing that broadband medium    can carry multiple analog  as well as digital signals as is the case with fiber.     The question remains if i am correct in my observation.

Second issue  is baseband does not mean point to point  communication.    Point to point  communication means either we have dedicated link or virtual link between two nodes.   As we know  ethernet is shared medium,  for example  10base-T  using hub is good example   where base signaling is used on a shared medium.

Thanks

Second issue  is baseband does not mean point to point  communication.   Point to point  communication means either we have dedicated link or virtual link between two nodes.   As we know  ethernet is shared medium,  for example  10base-T  using hub is good example   where base signaling is used on a shared medium.

Thanks

Baseband devotes the entire capacity of the medium to one communication channel. Broadband enables two or more communication channels to share the bandwidth of the communications medium. Baseband is the most common mode of operation. Most LANs function in baseband mode, for example. Baseband signaling can be accomplished with both analog and digital signals. Although you might not realize it, you have a great deal of experience with broadband transmissions. Consider, for example, that the TV cable coming into your house from an antenna or a cable provider is a broadband medium. Many television signals can share the bandwidth of the cable because each signal is modulated using a separately assigned frequency. You can use the television tuner to choose the channel you want to watch by selecting its frequency. This technique of dividing bandwidth into frequency bands is called 'Frequency-division Multiplexing' (FDM) and works only with analog signals. Another technique, called 'Time-division Multiplexing' (TDM), supports digital signals.

Yes you are right in broadband  signalling divides the network medium into multiple channels, allowing several signals to traverse the medium at the same time.

Baseband signaling only sends a single signal over the cable. This type of signaling is typically used in Ethernet networks, with the exception of 10Broad3 standard (rarely used). Baseband uses very simple transceiver devices that send and receive signals on a cable. The simplicity behind baseband signaling is that only three states need to be distinquished: one, zero and idle.

Broadband transceivers are much more complex because they must be able to distinquish those same states, but on multiple channels within the same cable. Because of its simplicity, baseband signaling is used on most Ethernet networks.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hello Ganesh,

>> This technique of dividing bandwidth into frequency bands is called 'Frequency-division Multiplexing' (FDM) and works only with analog signals. Another technique, called 'Time-division Multiplexing' (TDM), supports digital signals.

this is not generally true: forms of FDM are possible also for digital signals for example in DVB-T that is under introduction in some european countries like Italy.

Also in Hybrid Fiber networks like cable networks is possible to multiplex in frequency analog signals ( AM or FM TV channels) and data services like internet access.

In digital demodulation after frequency translation (to go back to baseband like in a TV or radio tuner) the receiver eestimates one or more digits over a symbol interval.

in analog demodulation after frequency translation (to go back to baseband like in a TV or radio tuner) the modulating waveform over time is the result of the operation.

All these modulations and demodulations are modeled with maths operations like Fourier transformation  or Z transformation and are implemented in DSPs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Ganesh,

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

I was not aware of the fact about FDM and TDM in that much details anyhow thanks for providing the example of DVB-T.

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card