Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Basic clarification on IP address on VLAN interfaces

Folks, can you clarify the following to help me understand whether I should assign an IP to identify SWITCH2 as shown below:

[SWITCH1 f0/1-f0/23 vlan3

f0/24 trunk allow vlan 3 connected to SWITCH2]

[SWITCH2 f0/1-f0/22 Vlan 1]

F0/24 trunk allow vlan 3 connected to SWITCH1. F0/23 is trunk Vlan3 uplink to a Layer 3 switch]

On SWITCH2, I will do:

int vlan 3

ip add 10.3.33.1 255.255.255.0

Question:

Do I have any technical reason to also assign an IP address

to the vlan 3 on SWITCH1? The benefit of assign an IP to the VLAN 3 in this case is just to identify the switch with an IP address, correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: Basic clarification on IP address on VLAN interfaces

Technical reason, no you don't need an IP on the switch. It would be nice and/or recommended to remote support it, wouldn't it? For example you want to check port states, speeds, etc. A lot more convenient to access the CLI remotely.

Benefit would be remote support, monitoring, SNMP, etc.

Hope this helps, rate if it does!

JB

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Technical reason, no you don't need an IP on the switch. It would be nice and/or recommended to remote support it, wouldn't it? For example you want to check port states, speeds, etc. A lot more convenient to access the CLI remotely.

Benefit would be remote support, monitoring, SNMP, etc.

Hope this helps, rate if it does!

JB

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Marlon

"Do I have any technical reason to also assign an IP address to the vlan 3 on SWITCH1?"

Yes, for management purposes. Assigning an IP address to the vlan 3 interface will allow you to connect to that switch remotely if you need to modify the configuration.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content