cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic HSRP with BVI interface question.

udaylambaday
Level 1
Level 1

We have  two 3945 CUBE routers. One is primary and another one is for failover. We have two interfaces with a BVI interface connected going to two Switches(1 primary switch and another for failover). Now we have these two interfaces on the switch with green light and the failover interface one the switch with one green and one orange. I am not familiar with HSRP. Just want to know if it is the normal behaviour??

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I'm not sure I understand where HSRP fits in, because HSRP is normally about providing a resilient first-hop address for the hosts. Could you post some configs?

My guess this is more to do with Spanning Tree than with HSRP. What do you see when you do a show int status on the switches?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Yes you are correct. It is related to the spanning tree. I should have mentioned that. ..

On show int status

On primary it is showing the two interfaces connected to switch but in failover router it is showing two physical interfaces connected to the switch and the BVI interface

On show spanning-tree

On primary both physical interfaces are in forwarding state

On failover one physical interface is on forwarding state and another one on blocking state.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card