Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Basic question on multicast:igmp ssm-map static vs igmp access-group?

Hi, can you help me with this:

I read the documentation but this is not clear. What would be the impact if instead of 'igmp ssm-map static' instead of igmp access-group command ? Can you tell me the reason this router may be configured with ip igmp ssm-map static instead of ip igmp access-group?

(...)

ip multicast-routing distributed

ip multicast multipath

ip multicast rpf interval 1

ip multicast rpf backoff 120 120

ip igmp ssm-map enable

no ip igmp ssm-map query dns

ip igmp ssm-map static mylist 11.3.15.3

(...)

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Basic question on multicast:igmp ssm-map static vs igmp acce

Hello Marlon,

SSM stands for source specific multicast.

This means IGMPv3: in SSM a join specifies both the group address G and the source address (actually include or exclude directives)

the ip igmp ssm-map static commands build some IGMPv3 static joins as a reaction to receiving IGMPv2 joins from real users the list is processed if a match is found an IGMPv3 join is created using source 11.3.15.3 and the group address.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/command/reference/imc_03.html#wp1011414

ip igmp access-group has another purpose:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/command/reference/imc_02.html#wp1011497

by using extended IP access-lists it specifies to what (S,G) pairs users in the lan can make joins.

This is a filter on IGMPv3 joins the other one is a converter the joins statically on the routers and can accomodate hosts that are not IGMPv3 capable.

Be aware that if this behaves like

ip igmp join-group means packets of the (S,G) groups are process switched (it shouldn't be so but it is better to think of)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies