cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic questions to get my switch to operate

laujtxoov
Level 1
Level 1

I inherited the job of manageing a Cisco Catalyst 2900 Series XL switch. Here is what I wanted to do. We have 15 computers. Of the 15 computers, one is the domain server. I want to get all 15 computers to be able to access the Internet through the switch but using only one public IP which is through the domain server. The other 14 computers will have a private IP address.

1. Does it matter which port I plug the ethernet cable that goes out to the Internet to?

2. How do I configure the port that connects to the Internet to allow all computers to access the Internet?

3. Do I have to configure all 15 ports individually so that it is able to access the Internet? If so, how?

Many thanks in advance.

26 Replies 26

Okay, sorry for being such a newbie. Can you explain by this?

Add the ip default-gateway statement, using the next-hop address.

How do I do that?

Sure thing. Go into config mode and enter:

ip default-gateway www.xxx.yyy.zzz

where that address is the address of the next hop, or in this case switch that it is talking to. If that switch does not have an ip address, us the next device down the line that does have an address - in this case it may be your main domain controller.

You can also use the trace command to locate the next hop router from the switch CLI

I'm pretty sure I know default gateway. However, I like to know hoow to trace it?

When I do this?

ip default-gateway 192.168.1.5

I get this message.

Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

It's pointing to the "i" in the IP part.

Be advised that you need to use exec mode in the configuration mode. Enter "config terminal" after entering user "exec" mode. Then enter the ip default-gateway command

Okay, the default-gateway is done. How do I verify that it is set?

okay, I did a sh run and it does show the correct default gateway now. However, none of my computers are able to access the Internet yet. So then my next step is to paste in the settings you posted earlier, correct?

Okay, I have to thank you so much for taking your time to help me out. I'm greatly appreciated your help and patience with me.

After pating the configurations you provided above, the DC server is able to access the Internet now.

However, there is one more question. How do I save the configuration now since it is working?

In addition, what's the difference between the current configuration I had that didn't work and the configuration you gave me that made it work? I like to know this is I can better understand the situation.

Briefly, enter "copy run start" from user exec mode. This will copy the running configuration to the start-up configuration thus saving the changes

You can also enter 'write memory' or 'wr mem' for short.

Glad that worled out for you.

Regards,

Paul

Again, thank you so much. If you can quickly explain why your settings work and not my original settings I would very much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco