Views
Helpful
Replies

basic vtp test plan and procedure help

killer316
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys/girls

I have what is probably an extremely simple problem. Ive been told to add vtp passwords to an existing live network and was wondering the best order in which to upgrade the switches?

The network consists of 2 4500 core switches, one active the other in standby, both in server mode. Then there are 5 3560 connected to both of these and they are in client mode. finally have 2 3560 in transparent mode.

Adding vtp passwords is simple enough but im a newbie and have never written a test plan. i can test by simply adding a vlan, but this being a plan, i have to extend this somehow. Any more ideas on how i can test?

thanks

1 Reply 1

Hi,

just add the password any any order, on all the switches but do not create a VLAN untill you have completed this task on all switches. The 2 x 3560 switches in transparent mode will not exchange the information. You will have to create VLANs manually on them.

once password is added the create a Vlan on one of the VTP Server switch and it should update all other switches in the domain. Please note passwords and domain names are case sensitive.

once you are happy then delete the test VLAN and it should disappear from the entire domain except the 2 switches in transparent mode. You will need to remove this manually from these 2 switches.

This will be a full test

Hope this helps...

Shaheen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card