Views
Helpful
Replies

basics of Supervisor engines

bethamprashanth
Level 1
Level 1

1. What is the main requirement of Supervisor engines and

2. Which series of switches has got the feasibility of having Supervisor engines?

Thanking you,

Prashanth

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

1. The Supervisor engine is the heart of any modular catalyst switch. It provides centralised forwarding information and processing. The line cards provide port connectivity while the switch fabric will provide a high speed connection between the slots

2. As said above, modular switches like the 4500, 6500, 7600 require a supervisor engine.

The New Nexus 7000 too requires a supervisor engine

HTH

Narayan

Well I know different modules a switch supports.

I unable to understand what you mean to say by this "centralised forwarding information and processing"

does sup.engine provides processing for each module. is its so what about forwarding information.

thanking you,

prashanth.

beth:

Just think of the supervisor engine as the brain of a modular-based switch. It stores all the forwarding information: routing tables, arp tables, mac-address tables. CEF tables, etc. That's what's meant by "centralised forwarding information and processing."

Now, you can have forwarding information distributed on individual line cards to increase the switch's forwarding rate, but that's another story.

We can write/speak volumes about the supervisor engine module. The best thing to do is read about them on Cisco's website.

Victor

hi Victor,

thanks alot, for wonderfull information.

any way I will be in touch if i have any question regarding on it.

thanking you,

prashanth.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card