cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Benefits to summarizing these routes on a 3750 sw stack?

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

We have 8 Cisco 3750's (1 is a G and 3 are X's the rest are regular 3750v2's) in a stack.  This is the center of the routing at a main office.  There are remote branches and depending on the ISP or how many interfaces were on the router, the routes have to go to either 10.1.0.1 or 10.1.0.2.  I know the IP's are not contiguous enough to summarize this even better, however if I summarize these would it be worth the time.

I will include a screen shot to show what I mean.  But basically  taking 8 ip route statements down to 3.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Keith,

Summarizing is always a good practice for many reasons. In your case you may check the sdm template you are using and if it's desktop default so i believe its a good option to summarize as many routes as you can because with this sdm template which is basically how hardware TCAM is allocated to all the resources, namely IPv4, QoS, ACl, etc.

Use the command "show sdm prefer" to check the current sdm template.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Keith,

Summarizing is always a good practice for many reasons. In your case you may check the sdm template you are using and if it's desktop default so i believe its a good option to summarize as many routes as you can because with this sdm template which is basically how hardware TCAM is allocated to all the resources, namely IPv4, QoS, ACl, etc.

Use the command "show sdm prefer" to check the current sdm template.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Yes I did show sdm prefer and its desktop default.  I was able to summarize 8 ip route statements into 3.  Could have done more if the destination was the same.  That will change in a few months as some routers will be combined.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco