Views
Helpful
Replies

best practice with trunking

mbuillon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello and happy new year for all,

we have more than hundred 2950 cisco switch and some 3550, in the plan, without vtp prunning.

On trunk, i have allowed only some vlan. My question is : Can the command "switchport trunk allow vlan except 7,15" be make on distribution switch only (and then, the access switch become root for vlan 7 and 15 because the trunk is configured to pass all vlan in his configuration) ?

Is it a good situation for the network ?

I ask the question because of the working to configure all distribution switch AND access switch with the same command.

1 Reply 1

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

If you are talking about the best practices for configuring that is to have the same command on both the uplinking interfaces.If you are not configuring this command on the Access switch you are eventually passing unwanted STP traffic over the trunk link which will get dropped at the remote end. My suggestion is to have it on both the ends so that the unwanted traffic drops dwon at the access switch only thus saving some bandwidth over the link.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: