cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best vlan routing placement

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all, I am just implementing vlan routing on my switches, I have put another switch in and put a vlan on that now, my question is, is it best to put the vlan on the other switch and trunk in to this switch, or do I set it all up on this layer 3 switch and just point any traffic for that subnet from my core ?

3 Replies 3

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Carl,

as an example, you can create multiple vlans on cicso 2950/2960 layer 2 switches, but only 1 vlan will be active. lets say that vlan 2-5 u have created, in this case, when vlan 2 is active, vlan3-5 will not be active, where as in layer 3 switches, if you create vlans 2-5, all vlans will b active. so it is a gud idea to create multiple vlans on layer 3 switches & do inter-vlan routing.

hope it helps.

rate this post if cleared.

thanks, i know that but I wanted to know if I should set the new vlan up on my current layer 3 switch, and trunk this off to the other switch, or do I set my new layer 3 switch up as its own vlan and just route to that from the core ?

juz create the new vlan in ur existing layer 3 switch itself, once after creating that, the which will trunk the new vlan information to other layer 2 switchez.

hope now ur clear.

rate it if satisfied

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: